dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with a puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Help with a puzzle Reply with quote

This one has me stumped.

It is definitely at a stage where the next number will bring it down like a house of cards.

I may be overlooking something very obvious. If so, I've been looking at it for so long I can't see it anymore!

Can someone please give me a hint to get the next number? Just one will do.

Here it is.............

xxxxx8xxx
xx72xx3x6
35x7169xx
xxxx8x6xx
57x42x861
xx48x1xx9
xxxxx74xx

Of course, I may have made a mistake already and it is now insoluble.

But, just in case...........one number please!

Thanks.

D.
pierceedd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a puzzle Reply with quote

Dinarius wrote:
This one has me stumped.

It is definitely at a stage where the next number will bring it down like a house of cards.

I may be overlooking something very obvious. If so, I've been looking at it for so long I can't see it anymore!

Can someone please give me a hint to get the next number? Just one will do.

Here it is.............

xxxxx8xxx
xx72xx3x6
35x7169xx
xxxx8x6xx
57x42x861
xx48x1xx9
xxxxx74xx

Of course, I may have made a mistake already and it is now insoluble.

But, just in case...........one number please!

Thanks.

D.

Here are two related hints that should help:

1) The first two boxes in the 8th row can only contain 2 or 6. As a result, the 5th box in the 8th row can only contain a 3 or 5.

2) Keeping that in mind, there is a box in the fifth column that can only contain one number.

Hope that helps and happy solving!

John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thanks for that, but how do you know that the first two boxes in row 8 are 2,6 pairs?

Secondly, I know that in row 5, boxes 4 and 6 are a 5,3 pair and boxes 8 and 9 are a 7,4 pair.

Could I have made any use of that?

Thanks.

D.
pierceedd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
John, thanks for that, but how do you know that the first two boxes in row 8 are 2,6 pairs?

Secondly, I know that in row 5, boxes 4 and 6 are a 5,3 pair and boxes 8 and 9 are a 7,4 pair.

Could I have made any use of that?

Thanks.

D.

The first column already has 3, 5, 7, and 8. The 8th row already has 1, 4, 8, and 9. The only numbers not in those groups are 2 and 6.

The second column has 3, 4, 5, and 7. And again the 8th row has 1, 4, 8, and 9. 2 and 6 are the only numbers not in those groups.

The pairs you mention aren't immediately a way to solve the puzzle. The 2,6 pair leads to only one possible number in the 7th box in that row (8th row) and only one possible number in the last box in column 5. Those two numbers will help to solve the rest of the puzzle.

John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I only got round to checking back on this thread now.

The technique of cross comparing a row and a column, as you described above, is not one I had come across before.

I have always been able to solve them through checking boxes, columns and rows individually, only occasionally using inferential logic to place a number in a given box/row/column by ruling out another.

Many thanks.

D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: