dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We want a VH!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dongrave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: We want a VH! Reply with quote

We want a VH! We want a VH! We want a VH! ...

Hey Marty, the next time you talk to Sammy, would you tell him that instead of those stupid variations that no one cares about (like monster or squiggly), he should have a VH every day! That's what all of us want! Tell him to give me a call if he needs help with the algorithm! (sarcasm.) And if he's not going to do anything to support the site, then why doesn't he turn it over to someone who will? Why don't you give him a piece of my mind for me Marty? (Darn that Sammy!)
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, I don't communicate regularly with Sam. I wrote to him about a month ago about a small problem and he neither fixed it nor replied. When the site is having problems there are inquiries about the other types of puzzles, but I don't know how popular they are. I don't know, but have assumed that he has click counts and keeps those and the easier regular puzzles around based on the information provided. I'm glad we have a forum and would find life very difficult, so to speak, without Draw/Play. He is either unwilling /unable to devote the time needed to keep things going.

Marty
dongrave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what Marty? I think Sammy (deliberate disrespect) is a bum. I really appreciate you and the others that contribute to this site but all I have to say to Sammy is - (as Ralph Kramden once famously said) 'You... are a bum!'
Marty R.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, your patience is being tested. I hope the wait will have been worth it.
rmireland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be in the minority among posters here, but I prefer the H puzzles to most of the VH ones we get.
The H's are usually more complex in the basics and therefore are more like what I liked about Sudoku when I first started solving them. I find I have to look harder and more broadly to find the hidden pairs and triples, and the locked candidates.
The VH puzzles, with some rare exceptions, are typically a series of singles, one XY, and more singles. With these VH puzzles, once the easy basics are done, it's just a matter of examing the existing pairs for the right combination, which seems to me to be a narrower search.
I don't mind the occasional VH, but please keep the H's coming.
dongrave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marty, Don't you hate it when someone like rmireland makes a point like that - and then turns out to be right on the mark within the next couple of days? I hate it when that happens! Oh well, I guess I'll go back and do the H's for last month. (Darn it all rmireland.)
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's gotta be right, we can't all be wrong.
keith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the same opinion, that the Hard puzzles ar usually more interesting than the one-step XY-wing Very Hard puzzles we get most of the time.

I am doubly weird, in that I believe Hard puzzles should also be done without pencil marks.

Keith
keith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Young wrote: "You're strange, but don't change."

I did today's hard. Did you do it without pencil marks? That brings an added dimension. I did not find it challenging at all.

As I recall, the hardest step was 468 in R7 and B7.

By the way, Marty and I are inveterate pencil and paper solvers. The only time I use a software solver is to check a puzzle that I post, which is very rare these days.

keith

keith wrote:
I am of the same opinion, that the Hard puzzles ar usually more interesting than the one-step XY-wing Very Hard puzzles we get most of the time.
I am doubly weird, in that I believe Hard puzzles should also be done without pencil marks.
Keith

Hi Keith! I remember when you told us a long time ago that Marty thought that you were weird not using pencil marks! That was the best! (I have to agree with Marty - but then again being weird is not a bad thing.)

Hey! Did you do today's Hard? Maybe that should have gone under the Kids Easy puzzles. I didn't see anything that would even remotely be referred to as hard? What element made it qualify as Hard I wonder? Holy crow!

(Sorry, but I have screwed up the quotes in this reply.)
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Keith mentioned, I'm a pencil-and-paper solver. I use Draw/Play once in a while for checking something and when I need to put a grid into a message. Life without Draw/Play is not something I like to think about.

Unlike Keith, I can't solve without pencil marks except for the easiest newspaper puzzles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: