dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Killer sudoku

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Woods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Killer sudoku Reply with quote

Has anyone else here got hooked on these? some of the logic chains are so long that a mistake is easy. I have only succeeded on Monday Puzzles (easy and easier) but there is great satisfaction in getting the correct result
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, where are these puzzles found?
George Woods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Killer sudoku Reply with quote

http://killersudokuonline.com/

Archive allows one to choose an appropriate puzzle (for me that is monday!)

What I miss of course is a discussion forum which is one of the best features of this site
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's either something strange about that site or else I'm doing something terribly wrong. I can't bring up a puzzle other than a totally blank grid, And there's an instruction to enter something in a cell that I think it ought to be. And references to a "greater than" puzzle, whatever that means.
George Woods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't understand the blank page - Have just discovered Crazydad and electing book 1 gives 8 puzzles plus solutions to all on one page (I feel no shame in checking a digit is correct after a logic chain has been thought out! but maybe with an arithmetic error or woese faulty logic!)
dongrave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marty, When I saw George's post, I went to check them out and I also had problems with their site. I was using Internet Explorer at the time so I tried Google Chrome instead and that seemed to work for me. It seems today that I'm been able to access it with either browser (but only after I accessed it with Google Chrome).

The 'Greater Than' puzzles that you mentioned are similar to the Japanese puzzles called 'Futoshiki'. They provide you with a bunch of 'greater than' symbols between certain cells - and idea is that you have to place the numbers in the cells so that the number on the 'greater than' side of every symbol is bigger than the number on the 'less than' side. In Futoshiki, you only have to worry about placing unique numbers in the rows and columns but for 'Greater Than' Sudoku, you obviously also have to worry about uniqueness in the boxes.

The puzzles that they call 'Killer Sudoku' puzzles on the site (I think these are the ones that George is addicted to) look like they're similar to the Japanese puzzles called 'Kakura'. For these puzzles you have make sure that the sum of the numbers in a 'dashed block' of cells adds up to the number indicated for that block. And of course you still have to worry about the Sudoku uniqueness rules.

And then, to make matters even worse, they have some puzzles that they call 'Greater Than Killer' which means that you have to meet the conditions of both the 'Greater Than' puzzles and the 'Killer' puzzles. (ugh.)
Marty R.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds too complicated for me. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: