dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 20: Very Hard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: April 20: Very Hard? Reply with quote

I'd rate this one as a low medium. I've gone through it twice, and I don't think it deserves its rating.

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It is not in the very hard class by any means.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, I haven't yet worked this puzzle. However, your observation is highly plausible. In my relatively brief Sudoku "career", I have seen inconsistency in ratings from many sources. I've solved puzzles rated very hard, evil, diabolical, fiendish, super hard with nothing more than basic techniques, while other puzzles from the same sources with the same rating have required more advanced techniques and, in some cases--too many--, have been near-impossible.

I know nothing about constructing puzzles, but I suspect it ain't that easy to construct and grade them.
samgj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
I know nothing about constructing puzzles, but I suspect it ain't that easy to construct and grade them.

I guess the grading has been discussed in several other threads here, and elsewhere. The computational grading of puzzles is by definition pretty objective. My current method defines certain types of logic as hard, and if you need 3 or more different "hard" logic types then it's very hard. This objectivity though takes no notice (indeed it isn't obvious to me how it can) of how hard each logic step is to spot for the human. The same fundamental logic step may be much more obvious in some layouts than others.

This puzzle is anyway borderline hard/very hard by this definition, but certainly doesn't fit my medium category. Of course other grading methods may be drastically and fundamentally different.

Sam
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just done this puzzle, and with all due respect to Mr. Griffiths-Jones, I cannot see how its rating was warranted. After filling in the cells with their candidates, the puzzle almost seemed to solve itself with pairs, triples, hidden singles and locked candidates.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found it pretty easy too compared to the "real" very hard ones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: