dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puzzle 11/04/26: B Moderate BBDB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Puzzles by daj
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daj95376

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Puzzle 11/04/26: B Moderate BBDB Reply with quote

Code:
 +-----------------------+
 | 5 . . | . 1 . | . 8 9 |
 | . . . | . . . | 4 . . |
 | . . 8 | 4 . . | . 1 . |
 |-------+-------+-------|
 | . . 9 | 1 . . | 8 7 3 |
 | 3 . . | . 4 . | 2 . . |
 | . . . | . . . | . . 1 |
 |-------+-------+-------|
 | . 3 . | 7 6 . | . . . |
 | 9 . 7 | 3 . . | . 5 . |
 | 1 . . | 9 . 4 | . . 8 |
 +-----------------------+

Play this puzzle online at the Daily Sudoku site
peterj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one pretty tough for a "moderate"! A slightly daunting grid; I needed a chain, admittedly short, and a bunch of not-so-easy-to-spot turbot moves...
Quote:
xy-chain ; (6=1)r8c7 - (1=9)r7c7 - (9=2)r7c8 - (2=6)r2c6 ; r13c7<>6
er(2) b1, c4 ; r6c1<>2
kite(6) r6, c8 ; r2c1<>6
kite(6) c1, r4 ; r3c6<>6
daj95376

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been thinking that a single 4-cell XY-Chain may not qualify as Moderate. I originally started placing them in the Moderate category because "XY-Wing with an extension" was being used so often to solve puzzles that I'd classified as Difficult. Now, I'm not sure how to classify puzzles that need one 4-cell XY-Chain.

Those that need 2x 4-cell XY-Chains are classified as Difficult. In fact, the Difficult+ puzzle with the same date has a 5-cell XY-Chain and a 4-Cell XY-Chain in my solver's solution. Which might explain the difficult you and Ted had finding a single-stepper solution for it.
peterj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daj95376 wrote:
Now, I'm not sure how to classify puzzles that need one 4-cell XY-Chain.

I agree that 4-cell xy-chains are much less difficult than longer xy-chains or general AIC chains. I think the other aspect though is the order and timing of moves. If the first meaningful move in the puzzle is a chain and it comes after short basics on a relatively crowded grid - it feels harder to me. In this case the grid was quite crowded, I think there was an extraneous x-wing, but the right-hand shute drew you to the bivalues - not like some of the "extremes" where you do a couple of basics and then are faced with "losing the will to live" moment with a sea of pencilmarks... and no amount of hitting F11 in SimpleSudoku will help you Laughing

To some extent difficulty is always going to be a subjective criteria.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found this more difficult than a moderate. I used a chain, 37 UR and Medusa.

The chain started with the 36 in r1c7. I started with the 6 and it ended up proving a 3 in the same cell. That's the second time this week that one value in a cell proved the other value in the same cell.

Is this just one of the typical outcomes of a chain or does this have its own name?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Puzzles by daj All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: