dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DB Saturday puzzle (March 11)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: DB Saturday puzzle (March 11) Reply with quote

Here is today's David Bodycombe puzzle. I had fun with it.

Keith

Code:

Puzzle: DB031106 ******
+-------+-------+-------+
| . 7 . | . . . | 1 . 3 |
| . . . | 8 1 . | . 5 . |
| 9 1 . | 5 . . | 6 . . |
| . . . | . 5 . | . . 4 |
| . 4 5 | . . . | 8 9 . |
| 6 . . | . 2 . | . . . |
| . . 2 | . . 1 | . 3 5 |
| . 5 . | . 6 9 | . . . |
| 8 . 9 | . . . | . 1 . |

Steve R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Very hard becomes a nightmare Reply with quote

Thanks for DB’s latest, Keith. Like you I enjoyed it considerably, though it was tough going by my standards.

In fact it was the second hard slog of the week, the first being samgj’s very hard of 9 March. You might like to try it after moving the 7 in row 1 one cell to the left. This is the result:
Code:
-------------------------
| . . 6 | 9 7 . | . . 4 |
| . . . | . . . | 6 7 . |
| 7 . . | . . . | 1 . 5 |
| . . . | . 5 9 | . . 1 |
| 3 5 . | . . . | . 2 6 |
| 8 . . | 6 4 . | . . . |
| 9 . 4 | . . . | . . 8 |
| . 8 5 | . . . | . . . |
| 6 . . | 8 . 5 | 9 . . |

DB would be horrified at the asymmetry but not, I think, too ashamed of the challenge which resulted.

Steve
David Bryant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: It's a good puzzle Reply with quote

I liked the Bodycombe puzzle too -- coloring on the "7"s plus one XY-Wing did the trick for me.

Steve, I'm curious how you found the permutation on samgj's puzzle. Do you often look for slight alterations like that? How often does a valid puzzle result? dcb
Steve R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: It's a good puzzle Reply with quote

No. I put it in a solver to check that it involved more than singles, made a transcription error and became interested.

I have tinkered with puzzles on only three occasions, using a solver to see if the symmetric original could be reconstructed from partially worked grids found on web sites. I succeeded the first time but on each occasion stumbled through too many multiple solution or invalid grids to recommend the practice.

Steve
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, I also like that you post these DB puzzles. This one I was able to solve with the use of two forcing chains.
keith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reasons to post puzzles Reply with quote

Marty, Steve, David, and all:

I have been posting these puzzles only when they involve something more than "basic" techniques.

I think of basic techniques as forced and pinned values, naked and hidden sets, and row / block / column interactions. I have not yet seen a Daily Sudoku that requires more than these techniques.

The next (intermediate?) level includes X and XY-wings, swordfish, unique rectangles, BUG patterns, simple coloring, and the like. The DB puzzles I have posted involve these.

I think of the various chain techniques as "advanced", possibly because I have such difficulty seeing them.

Anyway, I am not trying to start a debate on classification of solution strategies. This is a long way of explaining why I posted three puzzles two weeks ago, none last week, and only one this week.

Keith

Last edited by keith on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
David Bryant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: The modified 3/09/06 puzzle Reply with quote

Steve R wrote:
... it was the second hard slog of the week, the first being samgj’s very hard of 9 March. You might like to try it after moving the 7 in row 1 one cell to the left.

Thanks for the "extra" puzzle, Steve.

I used coloring on the "2"s plus a double-implication chain to get through this one. I also noticed that one could get there by finding a swordfish pattern, plus an XY-Wing.

An extremely interesting variation on one of samgj's better puzzles! Thanks again. dcb
someone_somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
could not resist to take a look at this one.
I found a nice 5 star in the following places:
r2c6 = 47
r2c7 = 47
r3c5 = 347
r9c5 = 47
r9c7 = 47
Staring with r2c6 as alpha and following only the digit 4 (which means coloring!!!):
r2c6 = 4 r2c7 <> 4 r9c7 = 4
r2c6 = 4 r3c5 <> 4 r9c5 = 4

And this is excluding 4 from r2c6, because of contradiction in row 9.

Nice one, thank you.

see u next week,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: