dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

players forum????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: players forum???? Reply with quote

when I use my "favorites" shortcut to the players forum I am being redirected to the "gamehouse" site.

is this what everyone else is getting?

where did the entire forum go?
daj95376

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: players forum???? Reply with quote

storm_norm wrote:
where did the entire forum go?

The Real Arcade server for www_sudoku_com crashed and they moved the site's link to www_gamehouse_com where the forum format sucks! There is no indication that they intend to replace the crashed server.
strmckr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or any of the information contained within its history.

Sadi have found out that the accounts where transferred over to the new site but not any of the topics/threads.

and i have found a links that says they will not be restoring the history Sad

Quote:
Welcome to Sudoku.com Community members!

We are pleased to announce that the Sudoku.com domain is now part of GameHouse. And although we are unable to import your forum history, we're providing this forum for you to meet, greet and share with the Sudoku.com Community.

Feel free to talk about anything Sudoku in this forum -- and thanks for playing Sudoku at GameHouse!

found here

http://www.gamehouse.com/forums/gamehouse-sudoku-forum/Welcome-to-Sudokucom-Community-members-id4986

doesn't sound very good...
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes
DonM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no attempt to reclaim the players forum 'history', it will be nothing short of disastrous. The very roots of Sudoku as we know it are in those threads. The announcement from the site about the crash comes across as dismissive, w/o an understanding of the gravity of the loss. Data from crashed servers can usually be salvaged.
daj95376

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of past crashes, gsf started collecting a daily download of the www_sudoku_com forum. The only question is: where can it be resurrected?
Luke451

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lastest information on this revoltin' development is showing up on The Programmers' Forum here.
Mogulmeister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned a lot from that site, it would be amazing if Hernandez could recover anything. The crash seems almost too convenient.....
keith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: strmckr wrote Reply with quote

Quote:
Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm
well there is also
dailysudoku.com

but if both go then its good night nurse. Sad

This site (dailysudoku.com) has been on auto-pilot, if not life support, for about two years. DO NOT hang your hat on the longevity of anything posted here.

Maybe Danny or someone else can figure out a way to make a backup archive? Just in case?

Keith
Luke451

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shout out to Players' Forum members : it would be a good idea to register your handle at Programmers' Forum. Please follow this link for further information .
keith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke451 wrote:
A shout out to Players' Forum members : it would be a good idea to register your handle at Programmers' Forum. Please follow this link for further information .

Luke,

I am a little confused (as always). If I register at the Programmer's Forum (link, please) will this help to recover my messages on the Player's Forum?

I am a somewhat uncomfortable about the discussion of decrypting the user/password file.

Keith
Luke451

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Luke451 wrote:

Luke,

I am a little confused (as always). If I register at the Programmer's Forum (link, please) will this help to recover my messages on the Player's Forum?

I am a somewhat uncomfortable about the discussion of decrypting the user/password file.

Keith

It would be best to address your questions in Programmers, Keith. All I can give you are my own impressions:

They are calling for folks to register at Programmers with their current Players handle. I assume this is to ensure folks get the same identity in the new forum as old. (This ruins my dream of being ttt in my next incarnation.)

Here's the registration link.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to see all your posts b4 the snapshot day even if you are not registered.

It's your right to be concerned about password decryption, if that's what will happen, I don't know. I trust these guys completely, though. They are doing all this work for the greater good of everyone.

Late
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daj95376 wrote:
Because of past crashes, gsf started collecting a daily download of the www_sudoku_com forum.
The only question is: where can it be resurrected?
    the backup
    is from 2009.May.19
      ( plus newer stuff from the Patterns Game )

-- other than that,
    newer material is apparently lost

while gsf is working on recovering the source bbCode ( from the HTML backup ),
    i wonder if he may make the HTML itself available---
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:

This site (dailysudoku.com) has been on auto-pilot, if not life support, for about two years. DO NOT hang your hat on the longevity of anything posted here.

Maybe Danny or someone else can figure out a way to make a backup archive? Just in case?

talk to Glenn Fowler -- while he's busy now with the Sudoku Players' Forum saga, in principle his robot should be able to retrieve ( and save ) the HTML for all Topics on this forum exactly the way it did for the other forum

~ Pat
ravel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Maybe Danny or someone else can figure out a way to make a backup archive? Just in case?Keith

I guess that gsf just copied the site recursively. I dont know how to do that under windows, in unix/linux you simply can say something like

wget -r http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/forums

Hope the guys have success with restoring (parts of) the sudoku forum, including my 1000 posts Smile
ttt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting some reply your comment but..., welcome back here ravel Very Happy

ravel wrote:
Hope the guys have success with restoring (parts of) the sudoku forum, including my 1000 posts Smile

I only saw 999 of yours on there... Very Happy

ttt
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravel wrote:
Hope the guys have success with restoring (parts of) the Sudoku Players' Forum

well you went silent quite a while ago --
therefore your posts are all included in that old backup (2009.May)

welcome back!!

~ Pat [ edited to remove URL ]

Last edited by Pat on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
storm_norm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will Ravel be able to add to his posts if the forum is restored?
or will his count be zero again??
Pat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storm_norm wrote:
will ravel be able to add to his posts if the forum is restored?
    the idea being most seriously discussed is, to load the old backup into a new phpBB forum, and to allow the old users to reclaim their old usernames.

i.e. if ravel registers ( with the same username ) on the Sudoku Programmers Forum, he'd be able to reclaim that username on the new forum, with credit for the 999 existing posts, with the ability to edit those posts, and of course the ability to post new material under the same username.

and if he does not thus register on the Sudoku Programmers Forum,
        then someone else could do so --
        stealing his identity.
Mogulmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this post by gsf a promising development ??

http://www.setbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?mforum=sudoku&t=1597&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=159&mforum=sudoku
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: