dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for swordfish puzzles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: looking for swordfish puzzles Reply with quote

does anyone know where i could find the really advanced puzzles on the net, more exactly the ones which involve swordfish, xwing and things like that. i've been in the business of solving sudokus for a month or two now, and i must admit that hidden triples and nakeds are becoming kind of boring. i think i'm now ready for the next stage, so i'd be glad if someone could help me find out those kinds of puzzles, knowing that i've never come across them in dailysudoku's problems.
thanks.
dominique
keith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique,

The obvious suggestion (imho) is the daily "Nightmare" puzzle at Sudo Cue:

http://www.sudocue.net/daily.php

These puzzles CANNOT be solved using only the techniques required for the Daily Sudoku on this site, dailysudoku.com. In fact, they usually require more than fishes and wings.

Ruud, the site owner and originator, seems to be in an arms race with his customers. As they figure out new solution strategies, he makes the puzzles more difficult by requiring other strategies. (Masochists that we are, we love it!)

Over the past couple of months, I have found this site to be a reliable source of difficult puzzles that can be solved by systematic human logic (that does not involve simple guessing or random trial and error).

One downside (Keith's opinion) is that there does not seem to be much of a community discussion on how to solve these daily puzzles. The best discussion is right here in this forum with contributions by David Bryant, Tracy, and Laura, among others. Sadly, another contributor, someone_somewhere, seems to be missing in action.

If you look at the SadMan Sudoku site, you will find example puzzles for a number of advanced solution techniques. However, I assume you are looking for a steady supply.

Keith
David Bryant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: 2 Mar '06 Nightmare has a swordfish ... Reply with quote

Hi, Dominique!

Coincidentally, the "Nightmare" puzzle for today, Thursday, 03 March, does include a "swordfish" on the digit 6. That wasn't quite enough to solve the puzzle, but it did soften it up quite a bit! dcb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: