dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 31 VH
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke451

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nataraj wrote:
peterj wrote:
I saw the xy-wing but searched longer and quickly found a nice 5-link xy-chain which is also a one-stepper...

Laughing Laughing I was not aware that there was a contest for the LONGEST chain ... Wink

But while I'm at it, might as well enter this beauty - it has 10 links (and of course it also solves the puzzle ...)

(6)r2c7-(6=5)r1c9-(5=1)r1c8-(1=2)r3c8-(2=6)r2c7-(6=5)r9c7-(5=9)r4c7-(9=8)r4c1-(8=5)r4c4-(5=1)r3c4-(1=6)r2c6-(6)r2c7; r2c7<>6

beautiful, just beautiful ...

Start in r9c7 and no self-consumption required. Then you'll clearly have a ladies' high-heel shoe Wink .
arjun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started doing these very hard puzzles and solved it with a type 6 Unique Rectangle with 26. Anyone else use this?
nataraj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arjun,

I suppose you are referring to the pattern in rows 2 and 8 / cols 3 and 7.

Careful, this is NOT a UR pattern.

For the "deadly" pattern, the two "floor" cells must be in one box, and the two "roof" cells must be in another box.

In this case here, there are two cells with 26 in rows 2 and 8, two cells with 26 in columns 3 and 7, but only ONE each in boxes 1,3,7,9. Thus, the solution is unique because the content of each cell would be determined by the other eight cells in the box.
arjun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nataraj wrote:
arjun,

I suppose you are referring to the pattern in rows 2 and 8 / cols 3 and 7.

Careful, this is NOT a UR pattern.

For the "deadly" pattern, the two "floor" cells must be in one box, and the two "roof" cells must be in another box.

In this case here, there are two cells with 26 in rows 2 and 8, two cells with 26 in columns 3 and 7, but only ONE each in boxes 1,3,7,9. Thus, the solution is unique because the content of each cell would be determined by the other eight cells in the box.

Ohh right... that didn't strike me. I eliminated 2s from r2c3 and r8c7. i guess i just got lucky to solve it then
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: