dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oct 7 VH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Oct 7 VH Reply with quote

The Oct 7 VH offers a number of paths.
This solution is a one-stepper.

Solution: 136 xyz-wing

Early Earl
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't continue with the puzzle beyond the basics, but I saw three moves, each of which I considered a possibility for a one-stepper.

Quote:
M-Wing on 15, XYZ on 137 and XYZ on 137
tlanglet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After basics:
Code:

| 9     56    8     | 3     1     25    | 27    4     67    |
 | 2     3     156   | 7     4     9     | 16    15    8     |
 | 7     15    4     | 6     25    8     | 23    1235  9     |
 |-------------------+-------------------+-------------------|
 | 136   2     137   | 9     67    13    | 5     8     4     |
 | 5     4     37    | 8     27    23    | 9     6     1     |
 | 16    8     9     | 15    56    4     | 237   23    37    |
 | 4     156   1356  | 15    9     7     | 8     13    2     |
 | 8     9     2     | 4     3     16    | 16    7     5     |
 | 13    7     135   | 2     8     156   | 4     9     36    |

A Type 6 UR exists in r36c78. To prevent the deadly pattern, r3c8=15 or r6c7=7.

In english, if r3c8=15, then a naked pair subset 15 is formed with the 15 bivalue in r2c8. This subset deletes the 1 in r2c7 to make that cell equal to 6, which then forces 7 in r1c9. Because of the UR implication, r1c7<>7 since either the 7 in r1c9 or r6c7 will delete the 7 in r1c7.

I do not know how to properly annotate the use of a subset but here is an attempt to describe the situation.

(7)r6c7 = subset[(15)r3c8 & (15)r2c8] - (1=6)r2c7 - (6=7)r1c9; r1c7<>7.

This session is now open for target practice, so shoot away at this post.

Ted
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, from a terminology standpoint, the way I learned URs is a Type 6 involves an X-Wing on one of the deadly candidates, which does not exist here. So I'd call it an almost or potential Type 6, which doesn't detract from your excellent deductions.
tlanglet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
Ted, from a terminology standpoint, the way I learned URs is a Type 6 involves an X-Wing on one of the deadly candidates, which does not exist here.

Marty, I agree. For instance, "sudopedia.org" indicates that a x-wing on one of the deadly candidates is part of a type 6 UR, However I have never understood why that is part of the definition, since a x-wing is not really needed to get the two deletions of the deadly candidate.

In this puzzle we have a strong link on 2 in row6 and col8 which is sufficient to allow/force deletion of 2 in r3c8 and r6c7. A x-wing overlay on 2 is not required to make those deletions and no additional deletions are possible if an x-wing was present.

Am I confused???????

Ted
arkietech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good One! Very Happy
Code:
 | 9     56    8     | 3     1     25    | 27    4     67    |
 | 2     3     156   | 7     4     9     | 16    15    8     |
 | 7     15    4     | 6     25    8     | 23    1235  9     |
 | 136   2     137   | 9     67    13    | 5     8     4     |
 | 5     4     37    | 8     27    23    | 9     6     1     |
 | 16    8     9     | 15    56    4     | 237   23    37    |
 | 4     156   1356  | 15    9     7     | 8     13    2     |
 | 8     9     2     | 4     3     16    | 16    7     5     |
 | 13    7     135   | 2     8     156   | 4     9     36    |
Quote:
xyz-wing136:(1)r3c3-(1=36)r3c16-(6=1)r6c1-(1)r3c3 => r3c3<>1; pair, singles remain

Last edited by arkietech on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I confused???????

Beats me, although it's more likely that I'm the confusee.
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would write it...
UR23[(7)r6c7 = (15)r23c8] - (1=6)r2c7 - (6=7)r1c9

what you are trying to say is that the 7 and the {1,5} subset can't both be false. both of them false would allow the UR to exist and therefore wouldn't leave the puzzle with a unique solution.
Wendy W

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like an idiot saying this after all you smart folks have analyzed it, but since when does that ever stop me ... I really enjoyed today's puzzle! I thought it was way more of a challenge than usual.
keith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlanglet wrote:
Marty R. wrote:
Ted, from a terminology standpoint, the way I learned URs is a Type 6 involves an X-Wing on one of the deadly candidates, which does not exist here.

Marty, I agree. For instance, "sudopedia.org" indicates that a x-wing on one of the deadly candidates is part of a type 6 UR, However I have never understood why that is part of the definition, since a x-wing is not really needed to get the two deletions of the deadly candidate.

In this puzzle we have a strong link on 2 in row6 and col8 which is sufficient to allow/force deletion of 2 in r3c8 and r6c7. A x-wing overlay on 2 is not required to make those deletions and no additional deletions are possible if an x-wing was present.

Am I confused???????

Ted

Ted,

I was the one who first noticed that an X-wing overlaid on a UR enabled some eliminations. The SudoPolice (with no input from me) named it a Type 6. In a few days, in a different discussion from the SudoPolice, it was pointed out that the full X-wing was not required, and that strong links + a UR enabled various eliminations.

Since then, some have come to restrict a "Type 6" to be only a UR + X-wing, and others (I think) call the UR plus strong links a "hidden UR".

Keith
tlanglet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storm_norm wrote:
Quote:

I would write it...
UR23[(7)r6c7 = (15)r23c8] - (1=6)r2c7 - (6=7)r1c9

what you are trying to say is that the 7 and the {1,5} subset can't both be false. both of them false would allow the UR to exist and therefore wouldn't leave the puzzle with a unique solution.

Thanks Norm. I appreciate the info.

I was also wondering if this pattern is an example of the "hidden pair" technique that you have posted several times recently, but I could not figure out how to annotate that either.

Ted
keith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlanglet wrote:
Marty R. wrote:

Ted

Ted,

You are not quite correct. If an X-wing were present, it would solve both R3C7 and R6C8 as <2>. The strong links that are present allow you to say the other diagonal cells are not <2>, which does not solve R3C7. In fact, in the solution, R3C7 is not <2>.

Keith
tlanglet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
tlanglet wrote:
Marty R. wrote:

Ted

Ted,

You are not quite correct. If an X-wing were present, it would solve both R3C7 and R6C8 as <2>. The strong links that are present allow you to say the other diagonal cells are not <2>, which does not solve R3C7. In fact, in the solution, R3C7 is not <2>.

Keith

Keith, if an x-wing was present I believe that exactly the SAME deletions would be made as with the two strong links (as I previously noted), BUT the x-wing would result in a single in r3c7 thus indirectly solving that cell just as r6c8 is forced to 3 as a single by the strong link in col8.

Tedl
keith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

I think it's just semantics. In my description of the beast, I said that if you have a UR:
Code:

+-------------------+
| . XY  . | . XYZ . |
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
+-------------------+
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
| . XYW . | .  XY . |
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
+-------------------+

and if there is an X-wing on X, then the reduction is:
Code:
 +-------------------+
| .  X  . | .  YZ . |
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
+-------------------+
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
| .  YW . | .  X  . |
| .  .  . | .  .  . |
+-------------------+

Keith
cgordon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that a Type 6 UR is like a diagonal version of a Type 4

Thus – if there are only two 3’s in Row 1 – you remove the 3 from the triple in the other row.

Code:

+---------+---------+-------+   
| 369 . . | .  .  39| . . . |   
| .   . . | .  .  . | . . . |   
| 39  . . | .  . 379| . . . |   

Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgordon wrote:
My understanding is that a Type 6 UR is like a diagonal version of a Type 4

Thus – if there are only two 3’s in Row 1 – you remove the 3 from the triple in the other row.

Code:

| 369 . . | .  .  39| . . . |   
| .   . . | .  .  . | . . . |   
| 39  . . | .  . 379| . . . |   

That's true, but if the 3 isn't an X-Wing, it's an almost Type 6, or a hidden UR. If it is an X-Wing, and thus a Type 6, then both of the bivalue cells are solved with the X-Wing number.
tlanglet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world is a wonderful, interesting and very confusing place. Sudoku semantics is a great example of "Confusion Reigns".

According to sudopedia.org/wiki, a hidden UR requires a strong link on one digit in both a row AND a column, with the common cell in the diagonal corner opposite the bivalue cell. (Note that the definition for a hidden UR does NOT require this common cell to be a bivalue.) Then, the deletion is the SECOND (OTHER) DIGIT of the common cell; not the digit with the strong links.

Therefore, as I view the murky world of Hidden URs, when your have the condition of two opposite bivalue cells in the Type 6 like arrangement, you can make deletions on either or both digit(s) but, because of the strong links, the end result is the same.

Anyone for a game of Hearts online?

Ted
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt that Sudoku terminology is both interesting and confusing.

There's another kind of Hidden UR, but I can't locate the site where I saw it described. The two bivalue cells are in the same line and there's a strong link on one of the candidates, in the floor-to-ceiling cells. The other candidate is eliminated from the polyvalue cell in the other line.

Along these lines, I have come to regard the "Almost Type 6" as a 3rd type of Hidden UR, as it fits the pattern of the other two because the standard eliminations can't be made from the particular type of UR, but others can based on a strong link or two.

The three Hidden URs have in common the fact that eliminations can be made based on the pattern without further testing. URs that lead to eliminations because they serve as the starting points of XY- or Forcing Chains are not Hidden URs in my personal lexicon.
kragzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy W wrote:
I feel like an idiot saying this after all you smart folks have analyzed it, but since when does that ever stop me ... I really enjoyed today's puzzle! I thought it was way more of a challenge than usual.

Good for you Wendy! I enjoyed it too, simply for the pleasure of solving it (albeit 4 days late - our son's wedding took precedence over Sudoku, can you believe it!). I'm happy for those who love to classify techniques and clarify terminology, but I just enjoy breaking a tough puzzle.

PS. It was the 136 XYZ wing that worked for me too.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: