dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimize or none pencilmarks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hungvuong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Minimize or none pencilmarks Reply with quote

Hi Sudoku Friends,

I have been solving sudoku for a while now. I am at a level where I can solve most of the very hard ones. However, I can only do it through listing out all the candidates with pencil marks on the paper. Even if I solve the medium or the hard ones I still need a pencil and an eraser. Can someone show me how to solve the puzzle without using the pencil marks. I have learned that many people can solve a puzzle in 10 minutes or so, and I am very impress with it. I love to learn their techniques.

Another question, what is the "Wicked" or "Fiendish" puzzles ?

One more question please, Is there any program or any website that can fill in all the pencil marks of possible candidates for me ? I find out that by doing the pencilmarks by hand, it takes alot of times. Thank you so much in advance.
ritz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: s Reply with quote

Hey, i hadnt ever seen a sudoku before, my dad just gave me one a lady brought to his work, and nobody there could figure it out. I solved it in about 15 to 20 minutes without writing anything down. the way i did it, was just, look through for a starting block, in which, only 1 possible number can fit. then from there, just continue looking for more of the same situation, using 2 strategys. either just picking a space, and counting 1-9, while checking each number i come to, to see if its possible. if you only end up with one possibility then obviously it goes there. Another way to figure it out, is if you see one 3x3 block which needs say a 7. if a different 3x3 down the line has a 7, you can elminate an entire row, and if your lucky, and a block from the opposite direction also has a 7, you can eliminate more possiblities, hopefully getting you to 1 possible block it could fit it.

all of this may seem really obvious to you, but i have never seen them before, and thats the way i solved it. hope it helps =D
Hungvuong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response Ritz. I always start out the puzzle with looking at the same numbers but locate in the 2 different blocks then I will look at the third block to see if there is a specific cell for that number to fit in. If it is then I will fill that number in. But if there is more than one cell for that number to fit in then I will wait because I do not know which cell it will go in. That is when I start using my pencil to fill in all possible candidates so I can determine which number to go in which cell after elimination process.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense.
for me, i dont bother marking anything down, i just skip it and move to a different place, and eventually come back to it later. like i said, im new to this whole thing, and i didnt realize all the different difficulty levels there were, so my way of doing things probably doesnt work too well for the more difficult pizzles.
alanr555

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Minimize or none pencilmarks Reply with quote

Code:

> Is there any program or any website that can fill in all the
> pencil marks of possible candidates for me ? I find out that
> by doing the pencilmarks by hand, it takes a lot of time.

The Sudoku-san site has a facility called sweep which puts in
the 'penci marks' - and allows for such to be printed! However,
care is needed as multiple use of the sweep leads to more and
more of the cells to be resolved!

Alan Rayner  BS23 2QT

Hungvuong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, I really like the sudokusan site. It sure did help me fill in the pencil marks that I used to do it by hand and also try to figure it all out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice, practice, and more practice.

i am at the point where i can solve most of these medium puzzles without penciling in possibilities. however, sometimes if i don't do one for a while, i find myself with many many pencil marks on a medium puzzle =(

hard...i'm at the point where i can do less and less penciling, but it is still required. i think i've only done a couple hard ones w/o penciling, but i think that was b/c i got lucky early on in the puzzle, stumbling upon one of the key "road blocks" early on, thus turning the puzzle into a medium puzzle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: