dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An ambiguous puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Bryant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: An ambiguous puzzle Reply with quote

Today's (7/29/05) puzzle was fun to solve, but the final result is not well defined.

Specifically, referring to the 3rd, 4th, and 8th columns and to the 5th and 6th rows (six cells in all), the triplets reading from left to right may be written as 486 and 864 or, alternatively, as 864 and 486. In other words, the "8" in column 3 can appear in either row 5 or in row 6 (and the "8" in column 4 can appear in either row 6 or row 5, etc).

Granted, this isn't a big deal, but it may cause some confusion as one approaches the end of the puzzle.

Thanks for making such a wonderful site. dcb Question
samgj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: An ambiguous puzzle Reply with quote

David Bryant wrote:
Today's (7/29/05) puzzle was fun to solve, but the final result is not well defined.

Specifically, referring to the 3rd, 4th, and 8th columns and to the 5th and 6th rows (six cells in all), the triplets reading from left to right may be written as 486 and 864 or, alternatively, as 864 and 486. In other words, the "8" in column 3 can appear in either row 5 or in row 6 (and the "8" in column 4 can appear in either row 6 or row 5, etc).

Hi David

Thanks for your encouragement. I think you must have gone a little wrong though. If I understand your description above, then neither of these solutions match the one on the site. I'm pretty sure this means you've missed one ot the initial clues, but if you don't think so, then please post your alternative answers and I'll take a look.

Sam
David Bryant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sam.

You're right -- I made a mistake. Somehow the "9" in the first row, fifth column, got transformed into an "8" and it was downhill from there.

Maybe I need new glasses. dcb Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: