dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December 8 Hard Puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: December 8 Hard Puzzle Reply with quote

Hello. I'm a bit new to this and sometimes I don't notice so much difference between the diffrent levels. But I recently tried "hard puzzle from Thu 8 Dec" and I took me very long time to solve. Much longer than any other I tried so far from any category. Anyone experinced the same?

I this sometimes yust the fact and how are puzzel levels set? Maybe it took me long time because I missed something as a beginer?

Regards, Micko
David Bryant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Puzzle levels Reply with quote

Hi, Micko!

Yes, I thought the December 8 puzzle was harder than the average "hard" puzzle on this site. If you indicate where you got stuck, I might be able to suggest a trick or two. :)

Samgj grades his puzzles with a computer program. You can gain more insight into the way that program works by reading this post and also this one over here. dcb
amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I am stuck with this one and it is bugging me to no end!

I don't know how to draw these so that it will make sense, but here goes...

I have:

5 - 2 - 4 1 - 8 7
8 - 3 - - 5 - - -
- 1 - 9 - - - 5 6
- 4 5 8 - - - - 9
- - - - 5 - - - -
2 - - - - 4 - 3 5
1 5 - 4 - 2 6 9 3
- - - - - - 5 2 4
- 2 - 5 6 - 1 7 8
David Bryant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: A couple of hints for Amy Reply with quote

Hi, Amy!

You can get your posts to make more sense by using the "code" and "/code" tags -- read the FAQ to learn more about those.

Here are two suggestions about how to proceed with this puzzle.

-- You can put a "1" at r6c4. Counting up the explicit possibilities, it appears that r6c4 could contain the values {1, 6, 7} -- all the other values already appear in row 6 or in column 4 somewhere. But you can eliminate the possibility of a "6" because the "6" in column 4 must appear in r1c4 or r2c4 -- there's no other way to fit a "6" in the top center 3x3 box. And you can eliminate the "7" because of a pair {7, 8} appearing in r6c2 & r6c7. That leaves "1" as the sole candidate for r6c4.

(Have you spotted the {7, 8} pair in row 6? It's easy to spot at r6c7. The logic at r6c2 is a little more complicated -- it depends on the "hidden pair" {6, 9} lying in r1c2 & r2c2.)

-- Do you know about X-Wings? If so, you can find an X-Wing pattern in the "2"s at r3c5, r3c7, r4c5, & r4c7 -- those are the only places a "2" can fit in row 3, and also in row 4. So either there's a "2" at r3c5 and another "2" at r4c7, or else there's a "2" at r4c5, and another "2" at r3c7. Either way we can eliminate the other possible "2"s from columns 5 and 7 -- this reveals a "7" at r2c5 and also allows us to cross off a possible "2" at r2c7 and at r5c7.

That's probably enough to get you rolling again. dcb
Philmac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: thanks again David! Reply with quote

I had exactly the same position as Amy. You may remember me, the one who confused himself with too many digits a few weeks ago! Same thing happened again here. Normally, BEFORE I resort to filling in possibilities I spot things like 6 must go in r1c4 or r2c4 so that rules out 6's in for the remainder of that column .. but after having filled in all the possibilities the 6's stubbornly refused to go away in r5c4 and r6c4!! A lesson learned(again!).

I have never been able to use xwing (well not explicitly anyway, I usually find that it tells me nothing that I don't already have coded up), but the example you give is one place where I could have used it and missed it!
Must get my mind organised!

Thanks again for your wonderfully clear help.

It's gone pretty mild here in England and everyone's started talking about avian flu again.

Phil
David Bryant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: The weather Reply with quote

Philmac wrote:
It's gone pretty mild here in England and everyone's started talking about avian flu again.

Hi, Phil!

It's been pretty nice here in Denver for the past week or so. About 10 days ago we had a real cold snap -- down to -10 F (-23 C). Even that wasn't too bad -- as long as the sun comes out, which it nearly always does, Denver feels warm -- probably because the air is so dry.

I did hear something about the avian flu on the radio today. A naturalist with the Colorado department of agriculture was explaining that there is some risk the disease will spread to domestic birds here because certain migratory waterfowl from Asia spend their summers in the Aleutian islands, where they associate with North American birds that pass through Colorado as they fly south (and east!) for the winter. dcb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: