dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jan 20 VH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kragzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Jan 20 VH Reply with quote

I'm only posting in order to beat Earl and to change the status quo. Very Happy

The way I solved it saw all of the action in Box 5. An XY wing solved just one cell (R4C6), but this opened the door for another XY wing that cracked the puzzle.

By the way, it's a perfect day here - mid 20s, cloudless sky, gentle breeze.

Cheers
Earl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Jan 20 VH Reply with quote

Just one xy-wing (579) will solve it.

Earl
keith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jan 20 VH Reply with quote

kragzy wrote:
Cheers

Really? Mid 20's (F) here too. Gentle breeze. Cold as ...
Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You're obviously talking Celsius. We're mid-20s too, except with overcast sky and howling winds and 83" of snow to date. Crying or Very sad

That's why I just bought a pair of these:

I'm with Earl, just one wing needed.
cgordon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earl may not have been first - but again I have the same solution.

Did you know -40C is the same as -40F. You would if you lived here!
sudocraz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid 20s C. is roughly about 81 F, a little too warm for me. Here in Southern California it is about 72 F today. Very Happy

I am originally from Montreal, Canada. I will never understand why they went from the more accurate Fahrenheit to the less accurate Celsius.

Another thing that I think is senseless is when they talk about wind chill. Of course it is going to feel colder if there is some wind. Do you notice that nobody mentions wind chill in the summer, nor how warm it will be if you are standing in the sunlight in the winter.

I have yet to see of hear a weatherman say: Today it will be 90 F, but the wind chill will make it seem like 75. Rolling Eyes
Wendy W

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with "Fast-Gun" Earl today: it took me 2 xy-wings, both on 579.
Sunny but it hasn't been above freezing for days here in southeastern PA.
kragzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sudocraz wrote:
the more accurate Fahrenheit to the less accurate Celsius.

Rolling Eyes

This is not the place for an engineering debate, but I presume that you're referring to the fact that there are 180 divisions between freezing and boiling points rather than 100 divisions. That arguably makes the F scale more useful (for those who can sensibly detect such fine differences of temperature, and I am not convinced anyone can), but not more accurate.

Personally I would prefer to measure temperature in Kelvins, as we do in engineering and science, but could we convince people that 295 is hot and 270 is very cold? Confused

I find it amusing that the US, the only nation to successfully rout those terrible Brits, retains the old British measurement system, while the metric sytem, created by Napoleon who was trounced by the Brits, now pervades most countires loyal to the Jack.

Anyway, 'nuff of that, back to Sudoku... simple Medium today. Hrrmph. Crying or Very sad
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have yet to see of hear a weatherman say: Today it will be 90 F, but the wind chill will make it seem like 75.

absoultely right.
but think about it, what makes a better story? one that tells you the wind chill is -5 degrees F or one that says the wind chill is 75 degrees F.

a story that tells you how a tenth grade class went on a field trip to the zoo and learned how animals live

or

the story about how that class's bus was hit by a speeding driver?
sudocraz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider Celsius to be part of the metric system. Surprised I suppose that they like it because it seems simple. 0 C is the freezing point of fresh water at sea level. 100 C is the boiling point of water at sea level.

To get back to Sudoku, my husband and I only had to use one xy-wing to solve this puzzle. I can't remember what numbers we used, but the one that we used did it. Maybe the people that used two xy-wings missed one of the basics. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: