dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The logic argument
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glassman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanr555 wrote:
A blind person might try to cross the highway unaided. She/he just does not have the equipment to be consistently successful - even if the other side of the road is reached on several occasions.

How does the blind person know when he/she has reached the other side?

On October 24 puzzle I wrote:
Mike — I don't know what this is called, as I am new to this forum and the terminology, but there is one of this compiler's favourite helpful hints in this elegant puzzle, which I saw as soon as I looked at it. Two numbers, here 6 and 7, on intersecting rows and columns, helpfully isolated to highlight them. See what this tells you about the box where they intersect, and then work it through.

In a similar way to the regular contributors above, I look for patterns before starting work on the opening stages of a puzzle, and constantly thereafter. Exactly what patterns is difficult to be precise about, but anything that looks helpful.

And, no surprises here, I was also an analyst programmer, getting hooked on computers in 1963 at the age of just 15, when Plessey dropped off a load of scrap analogue computers at school, and our inspired maths and physics teachers let a few of us more obvious mathematicians loose on them. Although I am now an antique dealer, you can still see my background in the peculiar way I write HTML (with just a touch of javascript). I think youngsters today call it liquid programming, but to me it's using multi-tasking subroutines to minimise download time, utilising the power of the user's own browser, and minimising my own effort.

Glassman Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: