dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LA Times / Freep - July 18, 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: LA Times / Freep - July 18, 2008 Reply with quote

Code:
Puzzle: FP071808
+-------+-------+-------+
| . 1 4 | . . 3 | . . . |
| . . . | . . 5 | 9 . . |
| 5 . . | 2 . . | . 6 . |
| 1 . 7 | . . . | . . 2 |
| . 9 . | . . . | . 4 . |
| 2 . . | . . . | 8 . 7 |
| . 7 . | . 4 9 | . . 3 |
| . . 9 | . . . | 1 . . |
| . . . | 1 . . | 4 8 . |

Keith
cgordon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy UR (256). Found it harder to locate the hidden <12> in Box 5.
nataraj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to avoid the UR (25 type 1), and found:

- multi-coloring (3)
- kite (6)
- even a w-wing (38, r3c2, r5c1)

but in the end had to use the UR to finish the puzzle.
It would be interesting to see which non-UR solutions I missed...

Here's my "final" grid before the UR:
Code:

+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 9       1       4        | 6       7       3        | 25      25      8        |
| 7       26      26       | 48      18      5        | 9       3       14       |
| 5       38      38       | 2       9       14       | 7       6       14       |
+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 1       456     7        | 3458    3568    468      | 356     9       2        |
| 38      9       3568     | 7       12      12       | 356     4       56       |
| 2       456     356      | 9       356     46       | 8       1       7        |
| 68      7       1        | 58      4       9        | 256     25      3        |
| 4       258     9        | 358     23568   268      | 1       7       56       |
| 36      235     25       | 1       256     7        | 4       8       9        |
keith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nataraj,

In your grid, Sudoku Susser has two short chains.

The first, in B78, takes out <5> in R9C5.

The second, in R78, takes out <5> in R8C2.

I can't explain these as anything other than guessing. They do not solve the puzzle without still using the UR.

Keith
storm_norm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this puzzle an example how a UR doesn't impede the solution?? I remember a discussion earlier in the forum about how a UR might disrupt flow occasionally.
keith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm,

I think this is a rather rare example of how a UR is "essential" to the solution. In other words, if you use the UR, you are done. If not, the puzzle is REALLY DIFFICULT.

A couple of years ago, someone posted an example of how an additional value in the initial grid made a puzzle much more difficult. The idea was something like this:

Suppose you arrive at a UR:
Code:
24  24
246 24
Then the lower left value must be <6>. But, if we have
Code:
2   24
246 24
Leading to
Code:
2   4
46  2

where the upper left value is given initially, you cannot use UR logic to solve the lower left cell. So, the puzzle may be "more difficult".

I could go on, if you are interested.

Keith
storm_norm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Norm,

I think this is a rather rare example of how a UR is "essential" to the solution. In other words, if you use the UR, you are done. If not, the puzzle is REALLY DIFFICULT.

A couple of years ago, someone posted an example of how an additional value in the initial grid made a puzzle much more difficult. The idea was something like this:

Suppose you arrive at a UR:
Code:
24  24
246 24
Then the lower left value must be <6>. But, if we have
Code:
2   24
246 24
Leading to
Code:
2   4
46  2

where the upper left value is given initially, you cannot solve the lower left cell. So, the puzzle may be "more difficult".

Keith

I think you hit the nail on the head.
there were two comments I remember reading. one was about how a UR if used to soon might actually hurt the flow of the puzzle.

the other comment was about how the DPs are actually sets, or set counting because each DP has a state in which the puzzle has a zero or multiple solution state. the UR is nice because you can see why one set will lead to more solutions, BUG+1 is nice because you can reason out which set will give you multiple solutions. the point being that when you substitute numbers in for the cells, you are basically going about eliminating the cases in which the pattern is deadly.
Asellus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about 99% certain that you can still use DP logic to place the <6> in the lower left corner of all three of those examples. If the 4 cells are confined to 2 boxes (as required for the UR in the first place), then the lower left cell cannot be <4> no matter what eliminations have been made amongst the other 3 {24} cells. If the lower left cell is <4>, you have a DP: the <2>s and <4>s can be interchanged. So, it must be <6>.

The problem is merely recognizing that the DP is present once you've made the eliminations. But, the DP isn't destroyed until that <6> is placed.
[Edit to add...]
I mis-read Keith's post as the upper left <2> in the 2nd and 3rd examples having been solved as <2>. However, I now see that he states it as initially given as <2>. In that case, there is no DP and the <6> cannot be placed.

Last edited by Asellus on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Asellus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without trying to find those SudokuSusser chains and without using any coloring, there is an interesting chain that I didn't find too hard to spot (though I've been practicing a lot!). What makes it interesting is that it utilizes an "almost wing" to form the chain.

Note that there is an "almost 58 W-Wing" in r7c4|r8c2. Only the <2> in r8c2 prevents it from being so. However, any chain in which that <2> is false induces the strong link of the W-Wing pincers and allows the resulting eliminations to be considered. The grouped strong link (or ER) on <8> in b8 could then be exploited.

Happily, the <2> in r8c6 is strongly linked with the <2> in r5c6. Then, there is a 2-cell XY Chain to the <8> in r2c5, which provides a useful pincer end for the chain. For at least some experienced folks out there, this shouldn't be too hard to see.

So the chain in ordinary language: Either r2c5 is 8 or it is 1. If it is 1, r5c5 is 2, r5c6 is not 2, r8c6 is 2, r8c2 is not 2, the 58 Wing is true, the 8s in r8c456 are false, so r7c4 is 8. In either case, r4c2 cannot be 8.

In Eureka, we might write:
(8=1)r2c5 - (1=2)r5c5 - (2)r5c6=(2)r8c6 - (2)r8c2=[58 W Wing in r78] - (8)r8c456=(8)r7c4; r4c2<>8

The idea of using an entire wing as a "node" in a chain is probably unfamiliar to many folks. By, I've looked for examples ever since Myth Jellies mentioned the technique in a post long ago.
keith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asellus,

If the UR will solve it, why go to heroic efforts to find a different Unique argument?

Keith
Asellus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Asellus,

If the UR will solve it, why go to heroic efforts to find a different Unique argument?

Only for those who didn't want to use the UR. Me, I use the UR.
[Edit to add...]
I wasn't trying to find a "different Unique argument." I was trying to show one way (and one I happened to find to be particularly interesting) in which a chain can be found without guesswork. Of course, some people consider all chains, even XY Chains, to be guesswork (which I don't). For me, it is a matter of gradually becoming able to see more options for constructing chains: bivalues; multi-cell ALS; conjugate strong links; DP-induced strong links; almost wings/fish/etc. Then, I just apply the alternate inference requirement by mentally thinking "strong-weak-strong-weak-..." as I scan the potential chain. No special side grids or marking were necessary to find the chain I described above.

I exhaust other methods before searching for chains. But, strive to avoid forcing-style guesswork and rely instead on patterns such as I've mentioned. It gets easier with practice. So, when a puzzle such as the one here appears to require chains if the DP is avoided, I am curious to give it a look.

Since my post, I redid it using basic Medusa (no extensions or multi-coloring) and it quickly eliminates a couple of <5>s. Then, after an XYZ Wing, the basic Medusa expands and leads to a "wrap" that solves the puzzle. So, basic Medusa would be the only other technique required here (with no explicit chaining) if the UR is avoided.
keith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asellus,

I tried Medusa, and got nowhere Crying or Very sad

I agree with you. As I have learned to recognize patterns that identify chains, I have come to regard them more as a systematic technique.

Now, I need to figure out how to identify Medusa candidates!

Keith
keith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(I will go on, even if you are not interested.)

In general, Asellus is correct. A UR is still "there", even if you make a candidate elimination. The fact is, a UR can eliminate candidates on the UR, and it can eliminate candidates not on the UR. You should look for all possible eliminations before making any.

To return to what Norm said, the order of solution techniques does matter, but not, I believe, in any systematic way. When we first "discovered" Type-6 URs' (which have now been hijacked as "hidden" UR's), Mike Barker ran a test on thousands of the "most difficult" puzzles. He found that the UR was most effective if used early. Otherwise, other techniques might destroy (or hide) the potential DP.

Keith
keith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The idea of using an entire wing as a "node" in a chain is probably unfamiliar to many folks. By, I've looked for examples ever since Myth Jellies mentioned the technique in a post long ago.

A "finned W-wing"? Very, very cool! Cool Cool

Keith
wapati

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
When we first "discovered" Type-6 URs' (which have now been hijacked as "hidden" UR's), Mike Barker ran a test on thousands of the "most difficult" puzzles.

The way I learned them, type six has diagonal corners bi-value and hidden has only one bi-value corner.
ravel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
A couple of years ago, someone posted an example of how an additional value in the initial grid made a puzzle much more difficult.

Hey, this was me Smile

Making a puzzle harder by adding a number

Asellus, very nice use of the almost w-wing.
keith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I owe Asellus an apology. I was confusing this thread with another, where he was making a DP argument.

Also, for Wapati: Please do not imagine that I have taken any offence at anything you have said. I am a little irritated that the Sudoku mafia christened my original observation a type 6, but have not been consistent since.

(The last time I read Sudopedia's classifications of UR's, I was simply confused.)

If you read the original threads, and my explanation of UR's (I am not asking that you do), you will see that the idea is any possible UR plus strong links, not just a diagonal pair. And, it was not my idea to "weaken" the original observation of "a diagonal pair on an X-wing", to "any possible UR plus strong links". That was the contribution of others.

Best wishes,

Keith
cgordon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And lets not forget who first reported the UR eh.
wapati

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:

Also, for Wapati: Please do not imagine that I have taken any offence at anything you have said. I am a little irritated that the Sudoku mafia christened my original observation a type 6, but have not been consistent since.

I like hidden to mean only one bi-value corner. None would be even more hidden. Opposite corners is easier to see than the one corner. It may be that common sense prevailed, even the mafia may get it right, once? Smile
cgordon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In so far as I am not in the mafia - I seriously suggest that the UR classification be re-examined. You don't have top be a sudoku expert to recognise anomalies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: