dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a Sue de Coq?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Is this a Sue de Coq? Reply with quote

Asellus posted a spot-the-Sue de Coq grid a month or two ago - no takers, certainly not from me, for despite knowing that it was there I couldn't see it. And I've long since given up looking for them. But I think I've found one, quite accidentally. Grateful if somebody who knows these thing would tell me if this is true or false gold.

M5227263 (38)
Code:

+-------------+---------------+-------------+
| 379  1 8    | 27   5   279  | 6   4   39  |
| 5    4 79   | 1    6   3    | 279 789 28  |
| 3679 2 3679 | 78   89  4    | 379 1   5   |
| 167  3 5    | 678  189 79   | 4   2   69  |
| 4    8 67   | 2367 39  2579 | 379 579 1   |
| 16   9 2    | 346  134 57   | 8   57  36  |
| 239  7 139  | 5    34  8    | 129 6   24  |
| 239  5 139  | 34   7   6    | 129 89  248 |
| 8    6 4    | 9    2   1    | 5   3   7   |

Play this puzzle online here

You'll see a type 4 in 57s, & a kite-type thing in 9s (which Ravel & Asellus tell me is generally just called a kite). After that, there's nothing obvious that I could see & I searched for the simplest kind of ALS, where one of the sets is a single cell. There is one in box 1 & C1, but it doesn't achieve much. Then I saw .... well, perhaps have a go first, to see if you can find anything useful.

------------------------------------------------

Look at R5C78, in box 6. However you look at it, there MUST be a 3 or a 9 in one of these cells. I think the Sue de Coq way of saying it is that you can't have one being a 5, the other a 7. Now look along R5. The 39 in C5 means that the 3 & 9 for this row have been used up. So we eliminate any other 3s/9s in the row, i.e. 3 goes from R5C4, 9 from R5C6.
Asellus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,

Yes, that is Sue de Coq. The 4 cells r5c578 and r6c8 contain the 4 digits {3579} and do so as two locked sets that overlap in the intersection of their two houses: a {39} locked pair in r5 and a {57} locked pair in b6 with the overlap in r5c78. So, <3> and <9> can be removed from all other cells in r5, as you note. Also, <5> and <7> could be removed from all other cells in b6 (if there were any to remove).

I see the logic this way: If r5c5 is <3>, r5c78|r8c8 become a {579} locked set. Alternately, if r5c5 is <9>, r5c78|r8c8 become a {357} locked set. Either way, there cannot be any other <5>s or <7>s in b6. A similar argument works using the {57} in r8c8 to create two alternate locked sets in r5c578 that eliminate <3>s and <9>s from the other cells of r5.

A Sue de Coq isn't limited to just 2 overlapping locked sets. There can be 3 and maybe more. And, the locked sets can be larger than locked pairs. There can also be one (or more?) conjugate linked digits embedded in the overlap cells, just to keep things interesting. In all such cases, the logic remains the same.

Some might see this as Aligned Pairs Exclusion (APE). It can probably be seen that way. Simple cases of Sue de Coq are akin to APE.

By the way... I couldn't find a Kite on <9>. However, there is an ER in b2 and c9 that eliminates <9> from r4c5. Perhaps that is what you meant. (It can also be seen as a Finned X Wing in c69.)

I can't see an ALS solution in b1 and c1 where one of the ALSs is a bivalue. However, there is an ALS present there that is useful. ALS1 is {379} in b1: r1c1|r2c3. ALS2 is {239} in r78c1. The shared exclusive is <3>. The shared common is <9>. The <9> in r3c1 can "see" all of these <9>s and so is eliminated.
Victor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER / kite. We're both right. It's an ER based on c9, with the ER itself being b2. It's also a kite using the same numbers: strong links in b2 & c9 with weak link in r1, producing the same elimination. Come to that, mentally assigning 9 to each of those two cells in b2 will instantly produce the same result by common sense (again because of the conjugate 9s in c9).

My ALS. A = c1r189 = {2,3,7,9} + cell r2c3. Shared exclusive 7 instead of your 3, same common 9, same elimination of 9 in r3c1. Amusing myself, I've been pondering how to express ALS as AICs. Using my ALS, and calling the subset of 9s in A by the letter N, in a sort of bastard Eureka: (9=7)r2c3 - (7=N)A.
I.e the 9 in r2c3 & the subset of 9s in my other set A are strongly linked, by what I guess you call a grouped strong link? I mused once as to whether strong links of this sort (not conjugate,i.e either or both, called OR in many trades) exist outside of at the ends of XY-chains etc. (I think any chain that starts and finishes with the same number, and includes even one weak link has the same effect.) Anyway, the 7 in A and N (the 9s in A) are thus linked - ate least one must be true, maybe both. Always the same in ALS I suppose. How would we desribe the link between the two sets of 9 in your ALS. Double grouped strong?
Asellus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,

As I understand a Kite, it must have a weak link in the box portion and pincers that lie outside the box but are each strongly linked to it. The structure resembles an ER except that the victim is always at the corner or the "rectangle" opposite the "ERI". So, if there were no <9> in r1c1 we would have a Kite and the elimination would occur at r4c9 (diagonally opposite the r1c5 "ERI").

When the box is considered as a strong link (which serves as one pincer)and the elimination occurs in either the row or column shared with the ERI, then it is an ER elimination and not a Kite. That is the case here.

Thanks for clarifying your ALS. It's funny I didn't see it since it's just a alternate way to see the ALS as I saw it.

As for expressing an ALS as an AIC... you're definitely catching on to this stuff! You've almost got it. It is a grouped strong link. However, the link involves a locked set on the other end. Any digit within an ALS is strongly linked to the other digits considered as a locked set. So, in your {2379} ALS we can consider <7> to be strongly linked with the locked set {239}: they cannot both be false. (In fact, they are a conjugate link: they can't both be true, either. So, we could also consider it to be a weak link, if we had some use for that.) In Eureka:
(7={239})r189c1

Depending on how it is being used in a chain, this same ALS can also be considered as (2={379})r189c1 or as (3={279})r189c1 or as (9={237})r189c1.

The other key thing to see is that the victim is weakly linked to the locked set: they can't both be true. The {239} locked set can be weakly linked to <2>s, <3>s, or <9>s. Here we are interested in <9>s.

So, we are ready for the Eureka notated AIC:

(9)r3c1-({239}=7)r189c1-(7=9)r2c3-(9)r3c1; r3c1<>9

We could also write it as:

(9)r3c1-(9={237})r189c1-(7=9)r2c3-(9)r3c1; r3c1<>9

Seen this way, the "shared exclusive <7>" is slightly less explicit. But, the concept is the same: the bivalue <7> is weakly linked with the {237} locked set rather than with just the <7> digit in the first ALS.

Now, for my ALS:

(9)r3c1-({29}=3)r78c1-(3={79})r1c1|r2c3-(9)r3c1; r3c1<>9
or
(9)r3c1-(9={23})r78c1-({37}=9)r1c1|r2c3-(9)r3c1; r3c1<>9

(There are two more possible ways to write it: the central weak link can have a digit <3> on one side against a locked set on the other. The first way shown above, with two digit <3>s weakly linked, probably comports best with ones "mental image" of the ALS technique. But, all of the notation options are valid.)

I hope that makes it clear. Once you see how an ALS works in an AIC, you can use them however you like in chains of any length and with various sorts of "nodes".
Victor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER/kite. Somewhat counting-angels-on-a-pin stuff - I'm sure neither of us nor anyone else cares much about these names. But you have contradicted what you & Ravel said in a previous thread when I asked just this question, what one called this kind of 3-link single digit chain with one of the strong links in a box. Have a look towards the end of this thread, in which Ravel remarks that this construct is usually called a kite, and you seem to agree:
http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2356&highlight=kite&sid=ea4689547306ed0f02356f01eb27c5d6
Yep, sure it's an ER, but it is also a close sibling of a 'real' kite. (Never thought it before, but I guess you can always see this construct as either ER or pseudo-kite.)

ALS. Thanks for the lesson - yep, I get that. Don't see what's wrong, though, with saying that, in each set, the shared exclusive(s) and the shared common(s) are strongly linked - can't both be false (else the set would have a candidate too few). That together with the weak link between sets in the shared exclusive gives a strong-weak-strong chain, with the usual result that the 'things' at the end are strongly linked, eliminating any other of the numbers in the 'things' that they can both see. The 'things' are the two (sub)sets of the shared common digit.
Taking your ALS, and naming the two sets A & B:
9s in A = 3s in A - 3s in B = 9s in B.
(To put it another way, I don't see the need necessarily to consider the conjugate - treated as strong here -link between the shared exclusives & and the rest of the set, rather than the strong link between the shared exclusives & the shared commons.) Also somewhat angels-on-a-pin stuff!
Asellus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor wrote:
But you have contradicted what you & Ravel said in a previous thread

No I haven't. In that thread, I agreed that Ravel's example on the left was a kite. But, I considered the example on the right to be an ER and not a kite, for exactly the same reasons as above. To me, these are different things: with the "pivot box" containing a weak link in the AIC, it is a kite; with the "pivot box" containing a strong link in the AIC, an ER. For those who easily "think in AIC terms," the difference is minor. But, for those starting out and trying to pick up named techniques, the difference can be baffling. It is on their behalf that I quibble about the name.

I should mention, so as not to create more confusion among folks who might be reading this, that a kite does not always "look like" an ER. The following is also a Kite:
Code:

. . ~ | . . . | . . .
. . o | . . . | V . .
. . ~ | . . . | . . .
------+-------+------
. . o | . . . | . . .
o o o | . . . | . . .
o . ~ | ~ ~ ~ | o ~ ~
------+-------+------
. . ~ | . . . | . . .
. . ~ | . . . | . . .
. . ~ | . . . | . . .

Quote:
Don't see what's wrong, though, with saying that, in each set, the shared exclusive(s) and the shared common(s) are strongly linked

Nothing's wrong with that. But if you are trying to communicate your AIC to others using Eureka, it is ambiguous, or less explicit, that way. The Eureka convention for ALS nodes in AICs, based on what I've seen elsewhere, seems to be as I've described above: one digit strongly linked with a locked set. You could write "(9=7)r189c1" or "(3=9)r1c1|r2c3". But, it is not obvious that you are notating an ALS. The person reading the Eureka notation would have to examine the grid to see what you were doing with those multi-cell references. However, when the number of digits in the parentheses is one more than the number of cells in the reference and all but one digit are grouped in braces, as in "(9={237})r189c1", then, per convention, it should be safe to assume it is an ALS without referring to the grid. The "{237}" is the "Locked Set" and the "9" is the "Almost".
Victor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERs. Guess you feel strongly about this, which I don't - thus wise to drop it. Hope this little thread has afforded gentle amusement to anyone reading it.

ALS etc. Couldn't agree more about using standard terminology - essential for pros like you. An amateur like me won't be expressing ALS in 'proper' Eureka - for my own amusement only. INteresting idea about using linked sets of numbers in a bigger chain. I suspect (not sure) that, when you've done an ALS elimination, the power of the pattern is gone. But is there any mileage in considering linked sets where there hasn't been an elimination, like a flighless XY-wing? ALS where you've got a shared exclusive & shared common but the commons don't see any other candidates that can be eliminated are 2-a-penny (2-a-cent in the US of A?).
Asellus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor wrote:
But is there any mileage in considering linked sets where there hasn't been an elimination, like a flighless XY-wing? ALS where you've got a shared exclusive & shared common but the commons don't see any other candidates that can be eliminated are 2-a-penny (2-a-cent in the US of A?).

Sure. Those are strong links that might be able to serve usefully as part of a longer AIC. It is the same idea as "pincer transport." The main advantage is that AIC notions allow for more sophisticated "transportation" than, for instance, relying just on coloring or forcing approaches.

Note that exploiting a strong link from an ALS or Wing of some sort is just an AIC shortcut since it is possible to express the ALS or Wing as an AIC and include those "internal" (but uninteresting because routine) steps in the overall AIC notation. But, if the strongly linked candidates are, say, a pair of "extra" digits (or sets of digits, as in Type 2 UR) in a deadly pattern, constructing the underlying AIC is not so easy. It is nice to be able to use the strong link directly and merely reference the deadly pattern as the cause of the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: