dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

October 20 puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weavingfun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: October 20 puzzle Reply with quote

I have
--2 897 ---
1-- --- 942
59- 124 ---
7-5 --- -98
92- --- -6-
36- --- 2-1
-5- 47- -29
2-9 563 7-4

the hint suggestion was 1-7 in the second row, first block.
How? Why?
geoff h

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Firstly, I just wanted to make sure you know the terminology where cells are referred to by their column and row number. For example, the hint you are referring to appears in cell number r2c3 because it is in the second row and third column.

1. First consider Row 2. You have a triplet of 3,5,6 in r2c4, r2c5, and r2c6. Therefore, the only possibilities for cells r2c2 and r2c3 are Nr 7 and Nr 8. ( I'm not sure if you have reached this point yet ?? ).

2. Now consider Box No. 4 ( cells r4c1 to r6c3 ) and its interaction with Column 3. The Nr 8 can not appear in r4c2 ( it is already in r2c9 ). Therefore, Nr 8 MUST appear in either r5c3 or r6c3 as these are the only remaining places left in Box No. 4.

3. Therefore, you can eliminate Nr 8 from all other positions in Column No. 3 and you are left with Nr 7 in r2c3. And then logically, Nr 8 in r2c2.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
geoff h

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, in my Point No. 2, when I referred to the fact Nr 8 was already in r2c9. Of course, I meant to say it was already in r4c9.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: