dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

strategies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamonitti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: strategies Reply with quote

I seem to be able to do most of the hard and very hard puzzles, but I am curious about two things.
1. Am I employing all possible strategies.
2. What classifies a puzzle as a certain level (criteria used).
3. How are these wonderful puzzles created (I know none can answer).

My stategies enlist organizing the or staements as 1246 for example in a box means either 1 2 4 or 6 can exist in that box.
Then I go through a series of reductions based on:
1. see if there is only 1 number possible in either a row, column, or box.
2. box1 123 box2 23 box3 12 means that the 1, 2, and 3 must be used in the mentioned 3 boxes therefore any box in common row, column, or 3x3 box must have those 3 numbers removed from or statement.
3. My most recently developed strategy employs a limiting choice to a common 3x3 and column or row. If I know that a 2 must exist in the 1st row of a 3x3 box then all other 2's are eliminated from the same corresponding row or column. This strategy seems to be the one strategy that frees up the reduction process for hard and very hard puzzles.
If someone could share another type of srategy with me I would be grateful, however I am self taught in all my methods so far.
P.S. These are great logical reasoning examples which I use in the classroom on the secondary level. I also incorporate these into my afterschool program where I work with some honor students in mathematics. How dare someone say there is no Math involved, as logical reasoning is an important concept in proofs.
someone_somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

So, did you not find a Sudoku that you could not solve with your strategy?

If no, I can help you.
If yes, you have still on what to work.

see u,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: