dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

27 Aug v hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riderdude

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: 27 Aug v hard Reply with quote

hi-
pretty new to all this, forum noob. got to the above and took the hint. the hint was the 3 in R4C9. can't figure out what that's so.

thanks
Angel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Looking at your grid we can see that the only possibilities for placing a 5 in row 6 are in columns 7 and 8, ie in box 6. So we can remove 5 from all other places in box 6 (including r4c9).

Also there is an x-wing on 7s in rows 3 and 7 (r3c8 r3c9 r7c8 r7c9) so we can remove 7 from other places in columns 8 and 9 (including r4c9).

Now you only have 3 left in r4c9.

Over to you now to carry on...
ravel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel wrote:

Also there is an x-wing on 7s in rows 3 and 7 (r3c8 r3c9 r7c8 r7c9) so we can remove 7 from other places in columns 8 and 9 (including r4c9).

Alternatively you again can see, that in column 7 the only 2 places for the 7 are in box 6, so it cannot be in the rest of the box (including r4c9).
Angel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravel

That's much simpler. Probably if I'd been doing this puzzle from scratch I would have done that before looking for x-wings. But starting from Riderdude's pencilmarked grid the x-wing stood out.
riderdude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh Embarassed

how could i have missed those?!

thanks. also - does anyone know why i'm not getting notified of replies to my threads? i have it set in my pro to subscribe to threads automatically, but it doesn't appear to be working.
riderdude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: ps Reply with quote

btw, duck soup after that. thanks again.

and another technical prob. i keep checking 'keep me logged in' and it doesn't.
TKiel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riderdude wrote:
also - does anyone know why i'm not getting notified of replies to my threads? i have it set in my pro to subscribe to threads automatically, but it doesn't appear to be working.

Maybe getting blocked by a spam filter?

riderdude wrote:
i keep checking 'keep me logged in' and it doesn't.

I also have this problem and have found no way to resolve it. I do know your system must be set to accept cookies or it won't work but I have that on and still must log in each time I come to the site. I just accept logging in each time as the price I must pay (and it's a small price at that).
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also have this problem and have found no way to resolve it. I do know your system must be set to accept cookies or it won't work but I have that on and still must log in each time I come to the site. I just accept logging in each time as the price I must pay (and it's a small price at that).

I can't help you Tracy. Maybe it's a difference between IE and Firefox? I use the latter and it has a feature to remember passwords. But when I was using IE regularly (until January 2005), I recall not having to log in on most forums, but I wasn't using this forum at that time (if it even existed way back then).
TKiel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R,

I belong to another forum that logs me in automatically, so I don't know that it is a problem caused by IE (which seems to have enough problems as it is). Like I said, I don't worry about it anymore.
Angel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same logging in problem on another forum. I solved it by deleting my temporary internet files and also deleting all cookies.

One obvious side effect is that the first time logging in to any forum after this you have to enter your password, but it did sort everything out.
mymega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiverDude, can you tell me how you copy/pasted your puzzle like that. I am new to the fo forum also and trying to find a way to post the puzzle I am working on.

I am stuck on the same puzzle, Aug 27th V hard. a different situation than you had.
dcturner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel wrote:

Looking at your grid we can see that the only possibilities for placing a 5 in row 6 are in columns 7 and 8, ie in box 6. So we can remove 5 from all other places in box 6 (including r4c9).

At this point, is it not the case that the 5 in c9 is in r8? No need for the X-wing, although it doesn't immediately explain the hint. From there on, I didn't need an X-wing at all.
keith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: How to post a picture Reply with quote

mymega wrote:
RiverDude, can you tell me how you copy/pasted your puzzle like that. I am new to the fo forum also and trying to find a way to post the puzzle I am working on.

Take a look in the "Test" section of the Forum:

http://www.dailysudoku.co.uk/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=592

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: