dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Documenting Solution steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanr555

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Documenting Solution steps Reply with quote

Documenting Solution Steps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several contributions to various fora refer to backtracking or reviewing
what one has done so far.

A computer solution can prepare elaborate and excellent trails to a
solution but what is an easy way to document the solution process
when working manually?

Pencil marks can be used to work towards a solution but once a digit
has been eliminated, how can one know that it was still a possibility
three, six or ten moves previously? Short of taking a snapshot after
each move, one must develop an "audit trail" of some kind.

Do other solvers maintain such a trail?
What tips and tricks are there for working back from a mistake (or even
from a trial/error "stuck" position)?

Alan Rayner BS23 2QT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Audit Trails Reply with quote

Usually I don't worry about backtracking. I just forge boldly ahead. Smile

Once in a while I get stuck on a very tough puzzle. Then I start trying to keep track of the order in which I make each move. I don't have a particularly good system for doing this, though. I generally mark possibilities within a single cell like this

3/7

in tiny letters at the top of a cell. When I'm trying to track the order of moves I just number the moves sequentially, with a tiny circled numeral in the upper left corner of each cell.

The biggest problem I have with tough puzzles is misidentifying the possibilities for a single cell. I haven't even considered tracking the order in which I identify various sets of possibilities like 3/7. That would involve too much detail. dcb
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Retracing Reply with quote

Evrything I've read says if you find you've made that type of error, start over. Not what I do, but perhaps the logic is exactly the point you're raising...it is so diificult to identify where you make the mistake. I have noticed I tend to make certain types of mistakes, e.g. I start eliminating the options, going too fast, and I "read the wrong row, ending up including other number options" So, i check those first. Ah....logic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: