dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sept. 21 puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Sept. 21 puzzle Reply with quote

I am new to this board and to sudoku. I tried the puzzle for Sept. 21 and after spending lots of time, I thought I had solved it. I got all the 3x3 grids and all the columns, but two of my rows are off. I know that this is a big mistake and that most of my puzzle is probably wrong. If someone has the solution, please send me a message. This is what I came up with.

581 426 439
943 871 526
627 539 871

135 987 264
476 253 918
892 614 753

354 768 192
219 345 687
768 192 345

The problem is there are two 4's in the first row and two 7's in the third row. I don't know how to work backwards. I'm guessing most of the puzzle is off. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited by Louise56 on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Bryant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, only a small part of the puzzle is messed up, Louise. There are a couple of errors you didn't mention -- you have two "1"s in the first column, and two "1"s in the ninth row, for instance.

Your first, second, and third rows are pretty thoroughly jumbled. And there are two small errors in the ninth row. The good news is that you got rows 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 all correct!

I don't know if you want to try to solve the puzzle on your own, or not. Here's a hint, just in case you do -- the correct sequence in the ninth row is
Code:
7 6 8  1 2 9  3 4 5

If you plug this in and erase everything you have in the first three rows (except for the original givens) I'm sure you can finish the puzzle in a jiffy. dcb
Louise56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Sept. 21 puzzle Reply with quote

Thanks, David. I meant to put a 7 as the last number in the first column. I edited my message to reflect that. I'm a bit dyslexic with numbers and a little ADD which is why I started doing these puzzles. I will try your advice and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Louise56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Sept. 21 puzzle Reply with quote

David,

I took your advice and finally got the solution. My problem was that my bottom row had two numbers reversed. Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully I can get the next puzzle without any help!
David Bryant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sept. 21 puzzle Reply with quote

Louise56 wrote:
David,

I took your advice and finally got the solution. My problem was that my bottom row had two numbers reversed. Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully I can get the next puzzle without any help!

Good for you! You might take a look at the puzzle for September 22 -- it's already up on this site, since it's past midnight in London. That one's marked "Easy," which is probably a good level to start at.

Good luck! dcb
samgj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sept. 21 puzzle Reply with quote

Louise56 wrote:
Thanks, David. I meant to put a 7 as the last number in the first column. I edited my message to reflect that. I'm a bit dyslexic with numbers and a little ADD which is why I started doing these puzzles. I will try your advice and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Hi Louise

I don't want to be in anyway patronising, but as you're just starting out you might want to take a look at the "hard" puzzles on the kids pages -- these are like the easiest "easy" ones on the normal pages. The kids puzzles also allow you to make printouts with letters instead of numbers -- I'd be interested if this made any difference to how easy you found them!

Best wishes

Sam
Louise56

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Sept. 21 puzzle Reply with quote

Sam,

Thanks for the advice. I did try some of the hard kids puzzles and learned some new tricks!

Louise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: