dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

someone looking for the michael mepham puzzles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm_norm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: someone looking for the michael mepham puzzles? Reply with quote

sudoku.org.uk has the puzzles for the papers.

http://www.sudoku.org.uk/backpuzzles.asp

also,

can we post the weekly challenge here to discuss?? I know the sudoku.org.uk site has a competition going for those puzzles so I am not sure how you others feel about it.

thanx

Norm
keith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm,

After the puzzle competition is over (and they have posted the solution) I see no harm in posting AND DISCUSSING the puzzle here.

And, my own opinion when posting a puzzle:

1. Always acknowledge the source.
2. Always post the original puzzle, not just the position where you got stuck.

Best wishes,

Keith
nataraj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Always post the original puzzle, not just the position where you got stuck.

Keith,
I rarely venture into this "general discussion" section, so I only just now became aware of your post.
I have given this quite some thought (since I am in the software business and intellectual property rights are our main basis for survival...) and reached a different conclusion for myself:

NEVER post the original puzzle (it is someone else's intellectual property and probably somebody paid for the rights or the author is expecting advertising revenues or whatever) unless it is obviously in the public domain.

Always LINK to the source (so everybody can start at the beginning which is a good thing)

I have no problem with posting positions with cells already filled in or containing pencil marks, because these positions contain a considerable amount of my personal effort/achievement and I feel (hm, "feel"... I am not a lawyer) there is enough of my work in it to make it my own and I am free to publish my own work, if you see what I mean.

Hope this makes sense Smile
Marty R.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NEVER post the original puzzle (it is someone else's intellectual property and probably somebody paid for the rights or the author is expecting advertising revenues or whatever) unless it is obviously in the public domain.

What constitutes being in the public domain? Is posting it here considered "publishing"? What are the potential penalties?

Quote:
Always LINK to the source (so everybody can start at the beginning which is a good thing)

Not so easy if it's not on the Web. Very Happy

Legalities notwithstanding, forum members have gotten a lot of enjoyment from posted puzzles, such as the Freeps and DBs.
nataraj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure. Don't get me wrong ...
I enjoy those freeps and DBs and MM and whatever, even posted a few myself.

Quote:
What are the potential penalties?

As I said, I am no lawyer. Probably just a cease and desist. On the other hand we hear so many stories of people sueing each other for the most ridiculous reasons ... I just wanted to point out that making it a rule to post the originals might be just a bit too much.

keep up the good work, I love this site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: