dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wed 27 July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauds

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Wed 27 July Reply with quote

I am new to this and am totally stuck with this one. Also new to this site - are the 'solutions' printed at any time? Think I need quite a few hints to tackle this one. Managed the Tuesday one - but the thought of Hard and Very Hard to come does not fill me with glee!!
maryland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: hints Reply with quote

yes, the solutions are posted the next day- although some people will post their solutions earlier.
I have solved it -- here are the solutions that I found on my first pass using the positions of the set numbers:

9/-/7 8/-/6 5/4/3
6/- /- 4/-/5 -/-/-
4/5/- -/7/- 6/1/-

-/-/4 6/-/2 -/5/-
-/6/- -/5/- 4/-/-
-/8/- -/4/- 3/6/-

-/2/- -/6/- -/7/4
-/4/- 5/-/7 -/-/6
8/7/6 -/-/4 1/-/5

after that, i went to the top row and figured out what that series had to be based on what was missing or already there in each square, eliminating possibilities based on what else was in the column. the next easiest to figure out was the 2nd column from the left. Just keep working the rows and columns.

does this help?
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Wed. July 27 Reply with quote

Help...I am stuck...here is what I have:

9/1/7 8/2/6 5/4/3
6/3/? 4/1/5 ? /? /?
4/5/? 9/7/3 6/1/?

?/9/4 6/?/2 ?/5/?
?/6/? ?/5/? 4/?/?
?/8/? 7/4/9 3/6/?

?/2/? ?/6/? ?/7/4
?/4/? 5/?/7 ?/?/6
8/7/6 2/?/4 1/?/5

Please explain the logical moves from this position. Thanks
pierceedd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wed. July 27 Reply with quote

Without knowing exactly which possibilities you've considered for your question marks, here is what I would suggest: the 3X3 box in the upper left corner is only lacking 2 and 8, which are conveniently in the same column. Regardless of which number goes where, the rest of the third column will not have a 2 or an 8 anywhere in the rest of the column. Specifically, that leaves only the possibility of a 1 or 3 under the 4 you have in the third column.

Hopefully that will help you continue solving. Don't give up!

John

Rookie wrote:
Help...I am stuck...here is what I have:

9/1/7 8/2/6 5/4/3
6/3/? 4/1/5 ? /? /?
4/5/? 9/7/3 6/1/?

?/9/4 6/?/2 ?/5/?
?/6/? ?/5/? 4/?/?
?/8/? 7/4/9 3/6/?

?/2/? ?/6/? ?/7/4
?/4/? 5/?/7 ?/?/6
8/7/6 2/?/4 1/?/5

Please explain the logical moves from this position. Thanks
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John for the suggestion. I had actually stumbled onto your suggestion earlier but I am again stuck!! I will keep at it.
SudokuCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to take pierceedd's suggestion further and, using methods such as 'locked candidates', you are able to restrict a single box to a single number.

Don't want to spoil it any more ;-)

Cat
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat -

Thanks a lot for the additional information...you made my day!
nevereven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this one and found it pretty tricky. It seems to have 2 solutions. Does anyone else think so?
nevereven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forget previous post. There aren't 2 solutions - it was just my carelessness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: