dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time taken for level of dificulty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithha1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Time taken for level of dificulty Reply with quote

Most newspapers have a recommended time to solve the Sudoku puzzle.Does anyone think this would be a good idea to use on this site ? You could time yourself to see how you progress with each level.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I personally have not concerned myself with solving time on Sudoku puzzles, or crosswords either. I don't recall seeing any discussions here about solving time, as people seem mainly concerned with solving techniques. Perhaps others will chime in with their thoughts.
TKiel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Marty. I think most people measure their improvement by the techniques they know and use, not by how fast they can get through a puzzle. Simple Sudoku has a timer on it and when I first started solving I judged myself that way, but soon realized that my time was a function of how soon I was able to spot the technique that relieved the bottleneck. If I got lucky and spotted the swordfish early, my time was good but it didn't necessarily mean I had improved to the point where I was ready to take on harder puzzles.
keith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But,

Sam might consider adding an (optional) timer to Draw / Solve?

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
But,

Sam might consider adding an (optional) timer to Draw / Solve?

Keith

Keith, if you mean Draw/Play, there is a timer right above the grid.
deborah.bradford

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: time Reply with quote

I like to keep track of the time and will use it to move up in difficulty. Right now it takes me about 6 - 10 minutes for simple and 35 for medium. When ( if!) this time gets better, I will move on.

What is a good, or average time for medium diffuculty?
keith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Average Times? Reply with quote

I would say that "Medium" is about 20 minutes.

If you are interested in times for particular puzzles, look at the Michael Mepham puzzles:

http://www.sudoku.org.uk/Daily.asp

His Diabolical puzzles are about the same as this site's Very Hard. The times for these are about 45 minutes.

Of course, you should think about how the times on that site are determined. In my view, they are probably the times attained by expert solvers.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: