dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September 17 puzzle, need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: September 17 puzzle, need help Reply with quote

I was stuck in the Sept 17 puzzle at the following point

6xx 172 x9x
x9x x36 125
2xx 9xx 7xx

x4x xx1 x8x
5xx xxx xx1
x2x 6xx x4x

xx2 3x8 xxx
463 x1x x7x
x8x 7xx xx3

Then I draw the puzzle on DailySudoku site and asked for hint. The hint given was R5C2 = 7. I am not able to understand the logic behind this clue.

Can anyone help me and explain the technique used here ???
geoff h

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

You must first consider Column 1. Nr 3 can not appear in row 2, row 7 or row 9. Therefore, Nr 3 MUST be in ither r4c1 or r5c1. Therefore, all other 3s can be deleted as possibilities in Box No. 4 ( r4c1 - r6c3). R5C2 only has the possibilities of 3 and 7. Therefore you can delete Nr 3 from r5c2 and leave the Nr 7.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff h wrote:

You must first consider Column 1. Nr 3 can not appear in row 2, row 7 or row 9. Therefore, Nr 3 MUST be in ither r4c1 or r5c1. Therefore, all other 3s can be deleted as possibilities in Box No. 4 ( r4c1 - r6c3). R5C2 only has the possibilities of 3 and 7. Therefore you can delete Nr 3 from r5c2 and leave the Nr 7.

Is it me, or aren't we speaking of the same puzzle ??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I made a small typo!! Let's just still consider Column 1. As I said, 3 can not appear in either Row 2,7 or 9 as 3 is already in each of those rows ( r2c5, r7c4 and r9c9 ). Therefore the Nr 3 MUST be in either r4c1 or r6c1 - sorry, I previously said r5c1 which was my typo!!

This then means that Nr 3 can not appear anywhere else in Box No. 4 as it HAS to be in either r4c1 or r6c1.

Does this help clarify??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the 7 is visible now Smile
Puzzle solved 15 mins later. Thx!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: