dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naked singles on Sudoku

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffdai6bscw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Naked singles on Sudoku Reply with quote

I want to ask, how many naked singles, or hidden singles are usually
found in easy, medium and difficult sudokus?

Maybe you'd think this is a silly question but I'm really urgent to know.
Thx. Smile
David Bryant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Poorly phrased question Reply with quote

Hi, Jeff!

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll give the best answer I can.

The only way to "solve" a cell in a sudoku puzzle is to reduce it to the status of either a hidden single or a naked single. Most puzzles have somewhere between 25 and 30 "clues" in the initial grid. So, assuming you're able to solve the puzzle, you'll generally find some 51 - 56 naked or hidden singles in the typical puzzle (81 - 30 = 51; 81 - 25 = 56). Since the difficulty of the puzzle does not in general depend on the number of initial "clues", I'd say this answer holds for all levels of difficulty.

I'm thinking that the question you asked may not be the question you intended to ask. Did you mean to ask how many naked/hidden singles are apparent in the puzzle ab initio? dcb
ravel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood the question in a different way, namely how many singles can be placed without using a harder technique before - either immediately before the single (then the count would be easy to see as 81 - givens - number of higher techniques needed) or from the beginning (hard to say).
Anyway, i suppose, an answer is too late (it was urgent 2 days ago). But today i saw a post in the other forum concerning the number of naked singles, which was quite interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: