dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 29, Very Hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejsmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: June 29, Very Hard Reply with quote

I agree with Marty from his 6/27 Very Hard post. Some X Wing work & few other things makes Samgj's Very Hards qiuite enjoyable. After the basics, I solved the 6/29 Very Hard with an X Wing on 7s in R35C29, which forced R4C9=4; & the rest fell into place.

Dave
PT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused. How is it an x-wing? It is true that for c2 the 7 can only go in at r3 and r5, but for c9 it can go in at r3, r4, r5 and r6. If you look at row-wise, for r3 the 7 can go in c2, c6 and c9 while for r5 it can go in at c2, c7, and c9. There are too many cells for the usual definition of an x-wing unless there is a more general definition (not 4 corners of a rectangle).

I think the logic is as follows:

Either r1c3 7 or r1c7 7

If r1c3 7 -> r3c9 7
If r1c7 7 -> r3c2 7 -> r4c3 7

Either case r4c9 cannot be a 7.

Is there a way to solve the puzzle without using this step?

If not, does this mean the puzzles of this site have gone beyond the basic x-wing (4 corners of a rectangle)?

PT
Charles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT: I agree with you, there is no X-Wing on 7 at the positions described. Your obversation on the (1,7) pair is excellent and correct. I asked once before if this technique has a name - I didn't see a reply. I do remember this method being described and used in previous puzzles. Charles
ravel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is, where you have an x-wing in 7. In rows 3 and 5 there are only 2 places for 7 in the columns 2 and 9.
Since 7 cannot be in r2c8, in box 2 it must be in r2c5 or r2c6, therefore it cannot be in r3c6 (box/box elimination)
Code:
---------------------
3 4 . | 8 . . | . 5 2
2 9 8 | 5 . . | 6 . 3
. x 5 | 2 3 . | 8 9 x
---------------------
. 8 . | . 1 . | 5 2 .
. x 2 | 9 8 5 | 3 . x
5 1 3 | . 2 . | . . .
---------------------
7 2 6 | . 5 . | . . .
8 5 4 | . . 2 | . 3 6
. 3 . | . . 8 | 2 7 5   
---------------------
PT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ravel. Order has been restored.

I remembered reading in another thread that someone input a puzzle into the draw/play program to get a hint for the next move but the program could not do it. The explanation was that the most advanced logic the program has is the x-wing. Anything beyond x-wing the program cannot see. So when I could not see the x-wing I thought maybe the program has progressed to the point of being able to see unstructured (or amorphous) either-or scenarios like the one that I suggested. That would be a great accomplishment to program that into a computer. Alas, you dashed my hope :P

PT
Charles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravel: Thanks for me too, I simply did not see the removal of 7 as a candidate in R3C6, thereby creating the X-Wing. Sometimes it seems we can look for so long that we create blind spots - this was certainly one for me. Thanks again, Charles
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it the same way as Dave, i.e., the X-Wing on "7" solved the whole puzzle. This was a disappointment compared to the June 27 puzzle, as I would like to see more of a challenge on puzzles with this rating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: