dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another interesting one
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why begrudge someone his or her poison of choice? (Not to toss in a red herring here, but I've been surprised that no one has taken issue with the non-symmetry of the puzzle in the original post. )

I don't who your comment is aimed at, but as the one who questioned the assumption, I certainly don't begrudge you or anyone else. These things are just for our amusement and whatever one wants to do with them is fine with me. I just wanted to know if you just dislike using rectangles, as opposed to truly assuming something other than what is a given.

As to symmetry, asymmetry is the exception, not the rule, but as far as I know, it doesn't impact the techniques that generate all the spirited discussion. I guess nobody took issue because nobody cares.

Quote:
And, my Mother-In-Law? She never goes anywhere that involves a left hand turn.

Now THAT'S funny! Laughing
Chuck B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Marty!

My comments weren't meant for anyone specifically, but more to indicate reasons behind my preference, in case anyone was honestly curious. I did try to respond to humor with humor, and would hope my replies generated a few chuckles like those I got from what I was replying to.

To answer your original question more directly, I really don't have anything against the rectangles, and readily acknowledge their value - and even admire the insights that led to the approach. From an axiomatic perspective. my objection was against the assumption behind the technique. I simply prefer not to assume something that will eventually come out in the wash - in this instance 'uniquity' (a slithy word indeed!) as well as solvability.

From the replies, I sensed more objection than curiousity, though. In any case, I certainly meant no shots across anyone's bow, and apologize if anything came across that way. But I hope others can at least recognize that there's more than just a silly obstinacy behind my preference (incompleteness, provability, etc.), and can take it or leave it as genially as you do. Different strokes and all...

Cheers!
Chuck
Chuck B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
As to symmetry, asymmetry is the exception, not the rule, but as far as I know, it doesn't impact the techniques that generate all the spirited discussion. I guess nobody took issue because nobody cares.
I figured. It was an issue at some other site I came across; someone felt that it wasn't Sudoku if it wasn't symmetric. Not my opinion, mind you, but I halfway expected a comment to surface here at some point.

Quote:
Quote:
And, my Mother-In-Law? She never goes anywhere that involves a left hand turn.

Now THAT'S funny! Laughing

Having had to drive in Manhattan a few times, I feel her pain! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: