dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 31 very hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo P

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: May 31 very hard Reply with quote

Having arrived at

528|391|647
493|726|xxx
176|845|xxx
---+ ---+---
xxx|653|7xx
6x7|489|xx2
xx5|172|x6x
---+ ---+---
x54|967|x31
x6x|xx4|97x
7x9|xx8|4x6

I completed the puzzle using trial and error. Surely there is something more elegant! What am I missing?
Angel

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leo,

Did you notice the naked triple (2,3,8) and hidden pair (1,5) in column 7?
This should finish it off without trail and error.
Leo P

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angel,

Thank you. I was certain I had overlooked something. It is much better than brute force.

Leo
Ian

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first VERY HARD Sudoku that I have solved without using HINTs or asking for help. I find the most difficult aspect of solving these is not so much the use of advanced techniques but recognising the patterns.
David

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I got as far as Leo (first post), but can not see how to reduce it down to the hidden pair / triplet. Could someone please explain ?

Thanks
Angel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

In column 7 there are precisely 2 cells that can contain a 1 or a 5. Every other cell in this column already has a 1 and a 5 in its row. These 2 cells are r2c7 and r5c7. Since we have 2 cells and 2 values, we know that these 2 cells contain these numbers (we don't know in what order) and no others. This is what is called a hidden pair. The particular cell we are interested in is r5c7 -which we now know must contain 1 or 5. But we also know that r5c8 can only contain 1 or 5 (checking the rest of row 5 and column 8). Therefore the only place for a 3 in row 5 is now r5c2.

The other way of looking at this is to consider the possibilities for placing 2, 3 and 8 in column 7. Looking at the candidates for r3c7, r6c7 and r7c7 we get:
r3c7 2,3
r6c7 3,8
r7c7 2,8

That is we have 3 cells and 3 possible values, we don't know how they are distributed, but somehow these values must cover these three cells. The important thing to realise is that they cannot be in any other cell in this column. In particular 2,3 and 8 can be eliminated from r2c7 and r5c7. This in turn leads to the same conclusion that r5c7 must be either 1 or 5, and hence r5c2 must be 3. This is called a naked triplet.

It doesn't matter which of the hidden pair/naked triplet you spot, they lead to the same conclusion.

I hope this helps.
David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angel. Embarrassingly obvious when you point it out, I will have to turn down my indie rock music down a bit - the waves must be pickling my synapses.

david
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: