dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finned X-Wing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Finned X-Wing Reply with quote

I thought I read somewhere that there can be two fins, not just one. Is that correct? I hope I've provided enough information by showing only the "6s" in the relevant boxes. Note that there would be an X-Wing in r18 and c18 except for the two fins in r1c7 and r1c9. If there was just the one fin, I could conclude that the "6s" in r2c8 and r3c8 must go, but with the two fins, to make the same conclusion, I'd have to conclude that there must be a "6" in r1 of box 3. If that is actually the case, I don't know how to reason that out.

Code:
-------------
|6--|---|666|
|--6|---|-6-|
|6--|---|-6-|
-------------
|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|
-------------
|--6|---|-66|
|6--|---|-6-|
|---|---|---|
-------------
David Bryant

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: It's a plain vanilla X-Wing Reply with quote

Code:
-------------
|6--|---|666|
|--6|---|-6-|
|6--|---|-6-|
-------------
|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|
-------------
|--6|---|-66|
|6--|---|-6-|
|---|---|---|
-------------

There's an ordinary, every day X-Wing in rows 3 & 8. So the "6"s at r1c1, r1c8, r2c8, and r7c8 can be eliminated. That leaves r2c3 unique in row 2. dcb
keith

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Fork Reply with quote

Marty,

Note there is a "fork" in R2 and R3 which eliminates the <6> in R1C1.

Also, you can use coloring to connect R8C8 and R2C3, to eliminate <6> in R2C8.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I hope I've provided enough information by showing only the "6s" in the relevant boxes. "

Apparently, I misled. I only showed the "6s" in the boxes where the potential Finned Wing was. There are a few other "6s" floating around, particularly in r3c4. I believe this would preclude both David's X-Wing and Keith's coloring.

I don't know what a "fork" is.

So my lazy little shortcut backfired. I'm sorry. :oops:

P.S. It's now 15 minutes since I posted the above. I should have searched first. David answered my question on May 4.

Quote:
Well, it's mostly right, Marty. But the "fin" doesn't have to be just one cell ... it can be two cells long. The logic is substantially similar in either case.
Code:
Case A Case B
Code:
.........   .........
..X...X..   ..X...X..
.........   .........
.........   .........
......*..   ......*..
..X...X#.   ..X...X##
.........   .........
.........   .........
..#......   ..#......

A. If r6c8 = "x", then r5c7 <> "x"; if r6c8 <> "x" then X-Wing on rows exists, and we still have r5c7 <> "x"

B. If r6c8 = "x" or r6c9 = "x", then r5c7 <> "x"; if r6c8 <> "x" and r6c9 <> "x", then X-Wing on rows exists, and we still have r5c7 <> "x"

If I understand that correctly, I can eliminate the "6" in r2c8 and r3c8 using similar logic: if either of the fins is true, those "6s" are gone. If neither is true, then an X-Wing exists and the same two eliminations can be made. I'll proceed with the puzzle on that basis and see where it leads.
keith

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: "Fork" Reply with quote

Marty,

I think you probably know what a "fork" is, but by another name. I posted an explanation in the Saturday puzzle thread:

http://www.dailysudoku.co.uk/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=861

Tracy calls it multi-coloring, Havard (in his article on Strong Links) calls it a skyscraper.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Fork" Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Marty,

I think you probably know what a "fork" is, but by another name. I posted an explanation in the Saturday puzzle thread:

http://www.dailysudoku.co.uk/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=861

Tracy calls it multi-coloring, Havard (in his article on Strong Links) calls it a skyscraper.

Keith

Thanks. I know that pattern as "strong links." However, I thought multi-coloring was something else. Certainly no shortage of colorful terminology attached to various techniques. Exclamation
ravel

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since i also had mixed the names sometimes:

Strong links are equivalent to advanced coloring.

Multicoloring is a superset (allowing more eliminations), but it is a bit complicated with it to make the eliminations of 3 or more strong links. E.g. for 3 strong links A-a,B-b,C-c i would argue about that:
a and B share a unit => A or b have to be the number x.
b and C share a unit => B or c have to be x.
Since b and B share a unit, also A or c have to be x.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi-coloring is something I'm going to have to live without, at least for awhile, because I just can't get it to penetrate my thick skull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: