dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nataraj Formatting tool - new location, new name, supported!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nataraj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Nataraj Formatting tool - new location, new name, supported! Reply with quote

EDIT Dec.23,2017: the Sudoku Formatter is NO LONGER being MAINTAINED.

A new version of Helmut's Sudoku Helper: http://sudoku.saueregger.at/HSH/HSH.htm has all the formatting options, and some more, see this post: http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8425
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Original text as per June, 2013:

When I met Keith when he was in Vienna a short while ago, he mentioned that the formatting tool I put together in 2008 is sometimes unuseable. I guess the problem is more with the site (free webspace hosting), but might also have some roots in the software itself.

Bad news: I don't seem to have the source code anymore, at least not for the current version.

Good news: I used parts of the original code in another software project of mine: "Helmut's Sudoku Helper" (HSH), therefore not all was lost.

We had heavy rains last weekend, so I took some time to re-write the formatting tool, keeping the user interface and the output format and using HSH's import logic. To end the hassle with system unavailability or endless waiting times while the ads slowly creep up on the screen, I moved the app to my own site, giving it a new Name: "Helmut's Sudoku Formatter", or HSF for short.

Of course, every software change means that new errors creep in Smile

Still, I do hope that there won't be too many bugs. I'll be monitoring this thread for a while, and there's the e-mail address in my profile, too - don't hesitate to contact me if something goes wrong.

Enjoy,
Helmut (Nataraj)

Edit Nov. 3: URL of formatter page changed to avoid problems due to move of webspace

Last edited by nataraj on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
keith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmut,

Thank you! I tested it with a Menneske.

Notes: There are two check boxes. For one, it will open the puzzle on Helmut's site. For the other, it will open the puzzle in the Daily Sudoku Draw / Play.

To post a puzzle, you can copy the required text from the lower window in the formatting tool. Previously, you needed to open Draw / Play and click "Ascii" to get the text to post.

At some point Marty and I will update the "How To".

Thanks again.

Keith

Last edited by keith on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmut,

Thank you; your time and effort is much appreciated. Despite the fact that the formatting tool has had occasional problems, it truly has been a gift that keeps on giving.

We miss your forum presence and hope to see you back one of these days.

Regards,
Marty
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no, it didn't work. I pasted in a copied grid and nothing happened after I unchecked the Start Helmut and clicked Format. No error message, no nothing. It had been working perfectly.
keith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
No, no, no, it didn't work. I pasted in a copied grid and nothing happened after I unchecked the Start Helmut and clicked Format. No error message, no nothing. It had been working perfectly.
Marty,

I noticed the same thing and have sent Helmut a note.

Keith
nataraj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:

Rule # 1: never change a running system
Rule # 2: if you do, forget about leaving the office at night

seems I violated both rules yesterday Wink

Ah, the formatter ...

Yes, of course. When I added the uniqueness verification in the Sudoku Helper, I had to change the sequence of "script" includes in the HTML page. Since Helper and Formatter share the same underlying code, that same change had to be performed on the Formatter, too.

Fixed and tested the HSF.htm, but you might need to manually re-load the page in your browser for the change to take effect.

Helmut

----

"no error message": the problem occured during HTML load, so the formatter program was not even initialized correctly. Problems of that kind can only be detected by looking at a well hidden "Error Console" in Firefox (or the equivalent in IE), something you would not usually want to do, since there are tons of errors and warnings for most internet sites that work perfectly ...
keith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be fixed!

Helmut, thank you.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think I understand all that computer stuff, think again. Laughing

But thank you so much for creating and maintaining this tool.
nataraj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're all very welcome !

I do not necessarily assume that you guys really want to know about the hows and whys but still I like to give at least two or three words of explanation what the problem was, why it suddenly occurred and how it was fixed. Kind of like when the Doctor does some Mumbo Jumbo and tells me: take these pills, they lower your blood pressure. It's really good for you. I feel better taking the pill with a few words than just the pill... Smile
keith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nataraj wrote:
you're all very welcome !

I do not necessarily assume that you guys really want to know about the hows and whys but still I like to give at least two or three words of explanation what the problem was, why it suddenly occurred and how it was fixed. Kind of like when the Doctor does some Mumbo Jumbo and tells me: take these pills, they lower your blood pressure. It's really good for you. I feel better taking the pill with a few words than just the pill... Smile

Helmut,

I not only understand your Mumbo Jumbo, I understand your environment.

I spent much of my life as the business-side interface to the IT Department. I remember very well a number of times when a change was announced for "this weekend" but not implemented. Nonetheless, there was always a spike in Help Desk calls on the following Monday.

And, there were "trivial" changes that were not announced, but which ended up bringing the system down.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:

Sorry, same thing just happened. Crying or Very sad
keith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
Marty R. wrote:

Marty,

Try clearing your browser. Delete history, and on the formatter page hit F5 a few times to force it to reload.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Marty R. wrote:
Marty R. wrote:

Marty,

Try clearing your browser. Delete history, and on the formatter page hit F5 a few times to force it to reload.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I didn't have to clear or delete anything; F5 was enough to do it.
nataraj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

I'll be moving my webspace to a different webserver a week from now. Everything is set up and working fine, but in order for the new site to go live, the domain will have to point to a different address.

There should not be a problem, but just to be on the safe side, please use a slightly different URL to access the formatter:

www.saueregger.at/sudoku/HSH/HSF.htm

Reason: Although the main domain (www.saueregger.at) will probably be xx correctly, I expect more problems with the subdomains (e.g. sudoku.saueregger.at).

This just in case you see some weird behaviour next weekend...
keith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmut,

Thank you very much!

I am working on being in Vienna again in the spring.

Keith
Sunuu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nataraj wrote:
Dear all,

I'll be reaping the benefits of D-Bal Max while moving my webspace to a different webserver a week from now. Everything is set up and working fine, but in order for the new site to go live, the domain will have to point to a different address.

There should not be a problem, but just to be on the safe side, please use a slightly different URL to access the formatter:

Reason: Although the main domain (www.saueregger.at) will probably be xx correctly, I expect more problems with the subdomains (e.g. sudoku.saueregger.at).

This is excellent, just what I've been looking for. I love that you can then play it online and email it to friends. Any tips on how to create your own puzzles?
Bargeo 02

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nataraj wrote:
Dear all,

I'll be moving my webspace to a different webserver a week from now. Everything you need to know about testogen is here and is set up and working fine, but in order for the new site to go live, the domain will have to point to a different address.

Thanks for the informative details, Em glad to be in this forum.
lilianna1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
JamelEaglin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
Helmut,

Thank you; your time and effort to get rid of gyno is much appreciated. Despite the fact that the formatting tool has had occasional problems, it truly has been a gift that keeps on giving.

We miss your forum presence and hope to see you back one of these days.

Regards,
Marty

Agree with you there is very informative details available in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Site help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: