dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screwed up April 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Ferre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Screwed up April 22 Reply with quote

I spent more than three hours doing April 22 twice, and both times I screwed up. I think maybe there is a better use for my time. I tried a new theory. When there were two choices, say, 2 and 7, I did a chain sort of thing. If it were a 2, this would happen, if it were a 7, that would happen. In one instance, say I chose 2, all of the other three cells in the chain were forced into specific numbers, with no other possibilities. On the other hand, if I chose 7, the other three cells would still have multiple possibilities. So I picked 2, because I liked the way things fit together. I got more answers. However, since I crashed and burned at the end, with no hope of fixing it, I guess my theory isn't so good. When there are three to five choices for every square, I just don't have a way to narrow things down. I guess I have to learn some more advanced techniques. Or, alternatively, maybe I could do something productive with my life. Hey, there's an idea.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When there are three to five choices for every square, I just don't have a way to narrow things down. I guess I have to learn some more advanced techniques.

I have the same problem, but I keep plugging away and trying to learn.
Quote:
Or, alternatively, maybe I could do something productive with my life. Hey, there's an idea.

Unlike you, I am not considering anything productive; I've got fishing and Sudoku, why change? Cool
Korky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Screwed up April 22nd Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I feel for you, having gone through the same. However, let me reassure you; to solve the Daily Sudoku puzzles you do not need to learn any "advanced" techniques. The key is staring you in the face and it is only lack of practice that is holding you up.
Take the puzzle in question. I reached a "sticking point" which may well be the very same which is baulking you. You may resolve it thus:-
Look for the possible occurences of 6 in row 6 and 2 in column 7. Once you have done this, you will know that there is only one value which can go in cell R4c7.
If this isn't the problem, please explain.
Once you have mastered this level, you will rise (or descend) to a new intensity of frustration as you encounter even more exquisitely horrible sudokus.
Enjoy!
Robert Ferre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Finally did it Reply with quote

OK, I finally did this puzzle on the third try. But I still guessed. The first time I guessed wrong, so I chose the other possibility and it worked out. The AARP website now has a daily sudoku puzzle, with features to do it on line. (It might be www.aarpmagazine.org) I guess I'll keep plugging away. Thanks for the support.
ravel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, what puzzle Korky is talking about. I have a given 6 in r6c7. With basic methods (pairs, locked candidates, naked triple and a naked quad/hidden triple in box 9) one gets here:
Code:
 *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 | 8       7       34      | 34      2       5       | 1       6       9       |
 | 359     1       23456   | 7       8       3469    | 24      2345    234     |
 | 359     249     23456   | 1       369     3469    | 8       23457   2347    |
 |-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------|
 | 13      68      7       | 24689   369     123469  | 249     1249    5       |
 | 4       56      9       | 26      57      126     | 3       127     8       |
 | 2       58      13      | 3489    57      1349    | 6       1479    147     |
 |-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------|
 | 7       249     245     | 2369    369     8       | 259     13      136     |
 | 159     29      125     | 36      4       7       | 259     8       36      |
 | 6       3       8       | 5       1       29      | 7       249     24      |
 *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Now 2 grouped coloring steps solve the puzzle:

r4c5=3 (=> r7c5<>3) => r6c3=3 => r1c4=3 => r78c4<>3
So there is no 3 left in box 8 => r4c5<>3

r4c5=9 (=> r7c4=9) => r6c8=9 => r9c6=9
2 9's in block 8 => r4c5<>9
=> r4c5=6
David Bryant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: It's the dailysudoku.com puzzle for 22 April Reply with quote

ravel wrote:
I dont know, what puzzle Korky is talking about. ...

Hi, Ravel!

I think Korky, and Robert, were talking about the "classic" puzzle for April 22nd from this web site, dailysudoku.com. It looked like this.
Code:
 |69.|87.|..5|
 |48.|..1|3..|
 |..1|3..|...|
 |---+---+---|
 |..8|...|..4|
 |2..|9.4|..8|
 |5..|...|7..|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|..8|4..|
 |..4|6..|.83|
 |8..|.39|.51|

It can be found in the archive, right here.

The puzzle you've solved above is from Ruud van der Werf's "Nightmare" site. Discussions of the "nightmare" puzzles should be entered in the "Other Puzzles" section of this forum. dcb

PS The puzzles on this site are not nearly as complex as the "nightmare" puzzles. You can always solve the puzzles on this site without resorting to advanced techniques.
David Bryant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Have you tried the "draw" facility? Reply with quote

Robert Ferre wrote:
OK, I finally did this puzzle on the third try. But I still guessed.

Hi, Robert!

Have you tried the "draw" facility on this web site? It will give you a hint when you get stuck, which may be a better way to learn than just guessing. dcb
ravel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: It's the dailysudoku.com puzzle for 22 April Reply with quote

David Bryant wrote:

I think Korky, and Robert, were talking about the "classic" puzzle for April 22nd from this web site, dailysudoku.com.
The puzzle you've solved above is from Ruud van der Werf's "Nightmare" site. Discussions of the "nightmare" puzzles should be entered in the "Other Puzzles" section of this forum. dcb

Yes of course, thanks. Sorry that i mixed that.
David Bryant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: No big deal Reply with quote

ravel wrote:
Yes of course, thanks. Sorry that i mixed that.

That's OK, ravel ... it can happen to anybody. dcb Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: