dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dubbing dailysudoku.com puzzles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKiel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Dubbing dailysudoku.com puzzles Reply with quote

Is it possible to enter a dailysudoku.com puzzle into a software program using the copy and paste technique, as opposed to entering each number in manually?
keith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy,

Absolutely!

Some solver applications use pattern recognition, so you can paste a graphic. Many recognize strings of text characters.

I use Sudoku Susser as a solver. Actually, as a helper.

I also use ScreenPrint32 as a screen capture utility. Capturing the Daily Sudoku and pasting it has about a 50% success rate. (Just try again.) Capturing the graphic of Sudoku Nightmare is about 80% successful, capturing the text string is 100% successful.

Sudoku Susser is also very good (100%) at capturing the partially complete puzzles where the text is cut and pasted from these PhP forums.

I hope this helps,

Keith
TKiel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

I wasn't clear enough in my question or I didn't understand your answer. Is it possible to copy and paste the daily puzzle in the format in which it is presented on the Daily Sudoku website, is what I meant to ask. With many formats I just place the cursor in the top left corner, click and drag to the bottom right corner, then go to the software (Simple Sudoku) and click on 'edit', then 'paste', which inputs the entire starting grid. I'm not able to do that with this puzzle as it is presented. I also tried right clicking on the puzzle, which does bring up a sub-menu with 'copy' as one of the options, but when I go to the software and click 'paste', it tells me 'the clipboard does not contain a valid puzzle' (which should not be taken as, and is not meant as, an indictment of the puzzles from this site), it merely indicates that what is contained in the clipboard is not recognized by the software.
keith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Copy & paste Reply with quote

Tracy,

There are two steps.

COPY:

If the object is a graphic image (picture) you can right-click and "copy" to the clipboard. (I assume you are using a Windows PC.)

In Windows, you cannot copy part of the screen by dragging a box with the mouse. If you can do this, you must have some other utility.

PASTE:

You may then be able to Paste into another application. If that application is like PowerPoint, you may be able to "Paste Special".

Now, I can right-click on the Daily Sudoku puzzle and copy it. I can also paste it into my software, Sudoku Susser. In PowerPoint I have to "Paste Special" as a bitmap. "Paste" gives me a bunch of Visual Basic stuff. But, I can then copy the PowerPoint (bitmap) image and paste it into Sudoku Susser.

You should experiment as I did. Copy the image to the clipboard and paste it to Powerpoint. Copy the image to a file and the open or paste the file to another application. If you have a valid image, you should complain to Simple Sudoku.

Best wishes,

Keith
TKiel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Quote:
Now, I can right-click on the Daily Sudoku puzzle and copy it. I can also paste it into my software, Sudoku Susser.

I tried this and that's when I got the invalid puzzle message. I did not try to copy it to a file and then copy and paste that into the program. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: