dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puzzle 11/06/24: ~ Advanced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Puzzles by daj
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daj95376

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Puzzle 11/06/24: ~ Advanced Reply with quote

Code:
 +-----------------------+
 | 6 . . | 3 . . | . . . |
 | . . 7 | 2 6 1 | . . 3 |
 | . 1 3 | 8 . 4 | . 6 . |
 |-------+-------+-------|
 | 3 7 5 | . . 2 | . . . |
 | . 2 . | . . 6 | . 9 . |
 | . 8 6 | 4 5 3 | . 2 . |
 |-------+-------+-------|
 | . . . | . . . | 4 . . |
 | . . 1 | . 4 8 | . . . |
 | . 5 . | . . . | . . 1 |
 +-----------------------+

Play this puzzle online at the Daily Sudoku site
PIsaacson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after SSTS:
UR type 3 7/9 r13c57 + r9c7 (ls 28 in c7) => r8c7=9
BUG+1 r7c9 => r7c9=2
daj95376

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul ... and welcome to my puzzle collection!

FYI: Below is the rating categories that I use in this forum. It's common practice to list any step more complex than Basics. That's because many members are hand-solvers who enjoy reviewing the solutions of others. As such, it's easier to manually reconstruct a solution if everything above basics is specified. Thanks!

Regards, Danny A. Jones

Code:
===== ===== ===== ===== Rating Categories ===== ===== ===== =====

Basics:    Naked/Hidden Single/Pair/Triple/Quad, Locked Candidates 1/2

VH:        BUG+1, Remote Pair, UR Type 1, X-Wing, XY-Wing

Advanced:  2-String Kite, Skyscraper, Empty Rectangle, finned/Sashimi X-Wing,
           XYZ-Wing, UR Type 2/4

XY:        W/M/S/L-Wing, XY-Chain/Loop, BUG+2, BUG+3, other URs

Extreme:   Chain, Loop, SIN (Single Inference Network)
PIsaacson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,

Mea culpa! I was working on the (erroneous) assumption that SSTS was the de-facto standard for placing a puzzle into a known starting grid PM.

So, how do I interpret the ratings and permissible pre-conditions of this puzzle??? It's rated "Advanced", so am I correct in assuming that you are looking for a solution that's dependent on just the advanced techniques (2-string kite, skyscraper...)??? And does this mean that you can use any of the Basic + VH techniques to advance the puzzle to a known starting grid???

As for my solution: Is there some reason the UR Type 3 is omitted in the Advanced category? If it's disallowed, then it can also be considered a UR Type 4 with r13c7 <> 9 resulting in the same r8c7=9 as a hidden single.

And thanks millions for these puzzles!

Cheers,
Paul
daj95376

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIsaacson wrote:
Mea culpa! I was working on the (erroneous) assumption that SSTS was the de-facto standard for placing a puzzle into a known starting grid PM.

So, how do I interpret the ratings and permissible pre-conditions of this puzzle??? It's rated "Advanced", so am I correct in assuming that you are looking for a solution that's dependent on just the advanced techniques (2-string kite, skyscraper...)??? And does this mean that you can use any of the Basic + VH techniques to advance the puzzle to a known starting grid???

As for my solution: Is there some reason the UR Type 3 is omitted in the Advanced category? If it's disallowed, then it can also be considered a UR Type 4 with r13c7 <> 9 resulting in the same r8c7=9 as a hidden single.

And thanks millions for these puzzles!

Hello Paul,

Yes, you are correct that SSTS is the de facto standard for about every place but this forum/website.

For my puzzles, the ratings hierarchy is based on my prejudices ... and the fact that fewest people complained about these combinations. _ Very Happy _

My solver is configured to search for a solution based on the hierarchy of the rating categories. The title for a puzzle indicates the highest rating category used by my solver. It does not place any restrictions on how you may choose to solve the puzzle!!! This includes techniques that aren't in my list above.

Note: the (old) solver used in my puzzle generator handles anything above basic fish as Templates. This means that fish above N=2 may be present in a puzzle, but my current solver's configuration had to navigate around it. Don't let the limited fish patterns listed in the rating categories prevent you from looking for bigger fish!

As for URs in the ratings, it's strictly based on my perception of the URs used by others in solving my puzzles. UR Type 1 was (obviously) the most common. UR Type 2/4 were also fairly common. UR Type 3/6 were seldom present/used and so I lumped them with "other URs" in the XY category.

Regards, Danny
Marty R.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my typical five moves, no need to list them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Puzzles by daj All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: