dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daily Squiggly Sudoku: Tue 4-Apr-2006 Really very hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saharalaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Daily Squiggly Sudoku: Tue 4-Apr-2006 Really very hard Reply with quote

I can only solve most of the "9" , "2" and the first row "8" and "1".
Anyone can solve it in logic?
mother superior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: april 4 squiggle Reply with quote

First of all, let me thank the webmaster for this puzzle. It is, without question, the most difficult of any puzzle ever posted on this site.
--
Needless to say, I had a tough time with this one -- until I realized that the square at the bottom left hand corner could not be a seven. Until that realization, I spent an embarrassing amount of time staring blankly at the puzzle, making no progress at all.
RogerC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Whyso? Reply with quote

Why, pray, Mother Superior, can the bottom left hand corner not be a seven?

I, too, am spending an embarrassing amount of time staring blankly at the puzzle. It has almost brought me to my knees, but perhaps not so much as you! Wink
PGordon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Daily Squiggly Tue 4-Apr-2006 Reply with quote

Very hard indeed. Part of my problem in understanding the discussion thread for this puzzle is that I'm unfamiliar with the numbering scheme. R and C for row and column are clear but are columns left to right or right to left, and rows top to bottom or bottom to top? Ditto "boxes": I'm accustomed to calling a cell a square and a 9-cell squiggly (or a straight 3x3 in a standard sudoku) a box. It may be that I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, but I could use clarification of everybody's notation.

Weren't there some posts from Steve on this puzzle? I can't seem to find them now that I've registered. RogerC's responses seemed on point, but I can't find them either. Is there something I don't know about how the forum works?

One other issue: I read in an academic paper on the subject (Cornell U. Math Department) that 23 "givens" are required to determine a single solution. It didn't discuss squigglies and, frankly, I didn't understand the rather off-hand proof, so it may not apply for squigglies. This puzzle is very short on givens. Anyone have any relevant info or comment?

This whole post sounds pretty feeble, but I really thought I'd gotten pretty good at this stuff (have happily solved all Standard "Very Hard" and all Squiggly "Hard" (and a couple of "Very Hard") that I've tried thus far (granted it's only been for the last couple of months).
keith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Minimum Number Reply with quote

Quote:

I read in an academic paper on the subject (Cornell U. Math Department) that 23 "givens" are required to determine a single solution.

As far as is known, the minimum number of clues for a standard Sudoku with a single solution is 17. This is an observation, there is no proof.

As I recall, someone has made a collection of 17-clue puzzles. There are more than a few.

Keith
Steve R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Just to tidy up Reply with quote

Welcome PGordon.

The thread containing the discussion of the puzzle is nearby.

The columns are numbered 1 to 9 from left to right and the rows 1 to 9 from top to bottom. Boxes are numbered 1 to 9 as::
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Gordon Royle’s collection of 36,628 essentially different classical Sudokus with 17 initial entries is published on his website.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: