dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Squiggly Sudokus
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samgj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Squiggly Sudokus Reply with quote

I finally got fed up with all the email about these! The 9x9 puzzles with odd shaped boxes, like the Christmas seasonal specials, have made a comeback. Available in the archive, they're currently called Squiggly Sudokus. Please feel free to suggest alternative names for consideration!

Sam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Twisted Sudoku?
rgbrown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Quirky"?

Maybe "Mashed", to go with the monsters?

"Drunken"?

Ooh, how about "Snafu Sudoku"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skewedokus?
sam44070

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Squigglys Reply with quote

I'm SO GLAD they've come back!!! I LOVED the Christmas puzzles.

As for a name, I like "Skewedokus" that someone suggested. That's cute. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: names Reply with quote

call them twisted sudokus
Jenny Darling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Squigglies Reply with quote

Keep the name Squiggly - they are ace! and thanks for giving them to us after my little request! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SkeweDokus" is cute but if you would like a simple label, how about FRACTURED? Just a thought.
anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: love those squigglies Reply with quote

By any name, they are sweet! Keep them coming, please!
TimWarp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Skewdokus Reply with quote

I love 'em, but I'm having a hard time doing anything harder than "medium." Anyone know any tricks that would help? I don't want answers, I want logic! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Squigglies Reply with quote

Jenny Darling wrote:
Keep the name Squiggly - they are ace! and thanks for giving them to us after my little request! Laughing

I think they should be called boxed sudokus Twisted Evil
Mary Jo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Logic for Skewdokus (squigglies) Reply with quote

The logic I use is to look at the rightmost 3 columns and say that I need a "3" (say) on each of those columns, and in particular on the rightmost one. This often lets me know that it must be on the rightmost column for a given area because the other areas already have the number; I write on the border of the puzzle that I need a "3" for that area/column.
I also look for areas that are shorter against the border, or already have numbers on the column closest to the centre of the puzzle, and say, "3" on the sprawling area can't be close to the border because that would leave no column for a "3" in the shorter area; therefore the "3" on the sprawling area must go on that single square on the 4th column.

I do this for right columns and for left ones, for top rows and for bottom ones.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

TimWarp wrote:
I love 'em, but I'm having a hard time doing anything harder than "medium." Anyone know any tricks that would help? I don't want answers, I want logic! Thanks!
deb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: squigglies Reply with quote

I love this type of sudoku. Are there any more sites where I can find similar as I have done all the ones on the "Daily Sudoku" link
Cyclone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many names for these. Some call them Jigsaw Sudoku. boldts.net suggests Nonomino Sudoku (and Deb, I recommend that site; that kind are not symmetrical, but still good). I've even seen Carol Vorderman use Squiffy Sudoku. Michael Mepham uses Jigsaw Sudoku as well. And finally, Irregular Sudoku is also a possible name (Conceptis uses that name). Personally, I like Jigsaw Sudoku, but they can get confused with those picture-pieceing puzzles, so still a lot of other options. Maybe Oddbox Sudokus? Smile (That one was a joke.)

Cyclone
emily hodges

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: squiggly sudokus Reply with quote

I just tried a squiggly for the first time and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the variation!
emily
kittybert43

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: squiggly sudokus Reply with quote

Call them "gerrymandered"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: names Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
call them twisted sudokus
jigsaw sudokus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should call them Odd Box Sudokus Very Happy
Or
Broken Sudoku
Or
Fractured Sudoku <--I like that one
Ilovesudoku77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Sudoku Reply with quote

What about Out of the Box Sudoku puzzles?
Peter Delmonte

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: The "LOL" Method for Skewdoku Reply with quote

A technique described by R.E.S. on sudoku.org.uk is really useful for the "twisted" puzzles. Called "LOL" by some, it took me a while to get my head into seeing it through, but now it's been really useful. R.E.S.'s post is at http://www.sudoku.org.uk/discus/messages/1/524.html?1140137480 but a more in-depth discussion is found at: http://www.bumblebeagle.org/dusumoh/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: