dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunday, July 17 - 2 solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Sunday, July 17 - 2 solutions Reply with quote

Did anyone else find that the 2's & 3's in the two top righthand side quadrants could be interchanged with no effect on the puzzle?
samgj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday, July 17 - 2 solutions Reply with quote

maryland wrote:
Did anyone else find that the 2's & 3's in the two top righthand side quadrants could be interchanged with no effect on the puzzle?

Hi Maryland

But the 3 in the top right 3x3 box is fixed as one of the initial clues, or do I misunderstand?

Sam
maryland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Sunday, July 17 - 2 solutions Reply with quote

you are right -- sorry about that
linoliverpool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Can someone please help me out on this puzzle!!!! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am a firm believer in not adding numbers in and "trying" numbers and seeing if they work.

I am a fairly new starter at all these puzzles but I am stuck on this one.

I have entered a few numbers and can now not logically see any advancement to be made (without the try it and see method). I have put this puzzle in several sudoku solvers and asked suggestions and they all say - no next move can be calculated.

How do I go on from here! I have solved the puzzle by trial and error but that isnt the way they should be done.

I was going to paste the image in here but havent a URL for it so here is how far I have got

6-2---198
-4--9--36
3---6---4
----73-4-
---1-6---
-8-25--1-
825-1--63
93762--51
164---9--

please can someone explain how I progress - thanks a lot
Michael!!![/img]
pierceedd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help me out on this puzzle!-solution Reply with quote

I think the trick to this puzzle was realizing two pieces of information in the top row, middle column. The squares to the right of the 9 and 6 must contain either 1 or 2 (there's nowhere else in that group they can go). Consequently, the 8 must be in one of the two squares to the left of the 9 and 6. As a result of this, there is nowhere else in that entire column (the 4th column) that can have an 8. If you eliminate the other 8's in that column, the solution eventually works itself out.

John

linoliverpool wrote:
Hi All,

I am a firm believer in not adding numbers in and "trying" numbers and seeing if they work.

I am a fairly new starter at all these puzzles but I am stuck on this one.

I have entered a few numbers and can now not logically see any advancement to be made (without the try it and see method). I have put this puzzle in several sudoku solvers and asked suggestions and they all say - no next move can be calculated.

How do I go on from here! I have solved the puzzle by trial and error but that isnt the way they should be done.

I was going to paste the image in here but havent a URL for it so here is how far I have got

6-2---198
-4--9--36
3---6---4
----73-4-
---1-6---
-8-25--1-
825-1--63
93762--51
164---9--

please can someone explain how I progress - thanks a lot
Michael!!![/img]
linoliverpool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone around the office is applauding.

Thanks
mld25

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, finally! That's been bugging me for ages...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: