dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 23 -vh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindwarp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: March 23 -vh Reply with quote

Have I made a mistake somewhere, it only took me 5 minutes and 5 seconds to solve this one?
nataraj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it took considerably longer.

Not at the beginning: the puzzle practically solved itself...

But there IS a position where "vh" techniques are needed:

Code:

+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 5       49      6        | 3       7       18       | 2       14      89       |
| 49      8       1        | 6       49      2        | 5       7       3        |
| 3       7       2        | 49      18      5        | 146     146     89       |
+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 6       1       3        | 8       5       4        | 9       2       7        |
| 2       5       7        | 1       6       9        | 3       8       4        |
| 49      49      8        | 2       3       7        | 16      5       16       |
| 7       2       49       | 5       149     136      | 8       1346    16       |
| 1       3       5        | 7       48      68       | 46      9       2        |
| 8       6       49       | 49      2       13       | 7       13      5        |

What with all those 49 pairs arond, I spent too much time looking for URs
In the end I settled for this route: x-wing plus some more coloring

Only when I prepared the grid for posting I found out that there is an xyz wing which solves the puzzle in one step.

So could have been solved real fast if you hit the xyz wing right away.
Victor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No nice hint with ensuing joke this time, Nataraj! (Tried to think of some other joke about 16 & squares or roots or something but I guess it was all said.)
cgordon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four very hards in 8 days - no wonder my wife asked me why I was smiling this morning.

Anyway, I found a plethora of ERs for 1's and 4's but the one that solved it was for 4's using R8 and Box 2. This got rid of the 4 in R3C7 and left a Type 2 UR for 136 in R79.

Nice one !!
tlanglet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I found a X-wing in r19c68 that eliminated a couple of 1's including one at r7c6. Then I spotted a XY-wing on 136 with pivot at r7c6 and pincers at r9c6/r7c9 that removed a 1 at r9c8 which broke it open.

Ted
cgordon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....actually I looked at this one again and saw a one step ER solution for 4's using the two 4's in C7 and the ER (or hinge) in Box 2 which eliminates the 4 in R8C5. Plain sailing after that.
TexCat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the skyscraper of 4's in columns 4 and 7 that eliminates the same 4 in R8C5.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Type 4 UR and a kite on 4 did it for me.
A.J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found the skyscraper in 4's in column 4 and 7 and it fell out quickly after that. Smile
storm_norm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-wing on 1

xy-wing {1,3,6}

the grid at this point is also a BUG.
Clement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Sun 23-Mar-2008 VH Reply with quote

I find the solution by tlanglet the best. X-Wing & XY-Wing.
cgordon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find the solution by tlanglet the best. X-Wing & XY-Wing.

Actually I would nominate TexCat's initial skyscraper. Surely the solution with the fewest and most simple techniques has to be the "best".
prakash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually I would nominate TexCat's initial skyscraper. Surely the solution with the fewest and most simple techniques has to be the "best".

It looks like someone doesn't like XY-wings.
nataraj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgordon wrote:
Surely the solution with the fewest and most simple techniques has to be the "best".

Hm.

Think of a movie. Let's say, something like "Iron Monkey", "Tai Chi Boxer", or the more recent and better known "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Good guy/gal and bad guy/gal stand opposite each other. Then they fight it out over an extended period of time, going up walls, flying through the air, using all sorts of weapons and their bare hands (and ruining most of the furniture in the process).

Think of another script for that scene: guy pulls out a gun. bang.

Better?

Now that's a bit extreme, of course. All I'm saying is that good/better implies a set of values. And those tend to be different from person to person, so I'm not so sure about that "surely" Smile
__

BTW, if I remember correctly, the second route was taken by Indiana Jones in a bazaar. A hilarious scene, just because of the unexpected "simple, yet efficient" method.
cgordon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think of a movie. Let's say, something like "Iron Monkey", "Tai Chi Boxer", or the more recent and better known "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Never liked “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” but I’ll concede that the violence in “A Clockwork Orange” was made the more elegant by the accompaniment of Beethoven and Gene Kelly. But then one could say
1*-1=-1 or one could say e^(pi*i) = -1. Should the solution be efficient or elegant? It gets sooo philosophical!
CORUJA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgordon wrote:
Quote:

Never liked “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” but I’ll concede that the violence in “A Clockwork Orange” was made the more elegant by the accompaniment of Beethoven and Gene Kelly. But then one could say
1*-1=-1 or one could say e^(pi*i) = -1. Should the solution be efficient or elegant? It gets sooo philosophical!

For me, the point is: am I enjoying myself ? Very Happy
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think of another script for that scene: guy pulls out a gun. bang.

Better?

its not elegant when watched from a standpoint of entertainment

however,

put yourself in that position, life at stake... I argue that the BANG method would probably feel like the most heavenly of elegant solutions.
ravel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgordon wrote:
e^(pi*i) = -1
Thanks for reminding me on this great formula by Euler, more thqn 250 years old. Its really rarely known, after all it is said to be the nicest formula in mathematics (and everyone knows Einstein's formula).
Since Gauss said, that it would be obvious for anybody, who has talent for mathematics, its no wonder, that i did not become a mathematician Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: